“Easy access to credit? Encouraging speculative behaviour?.. How can they encourage the very behaviour that caused the financial crisis in the first place?”
“In my 12 years of education here, not once was the topic of human rights raised during any of my national education lessons, a clear omission in education policy on our government’s part.”
“Wasted two hours with the Straits Times after the Animax workshop. I could have been talking about Dollfies and it wouldn’t have mattered because they quoted me with an incredibly distorted view of what I said.”
“It would be stupid for any Singapore agency or NTU to advocate the learning of dialects..”
Chee Hong Tat Private Secretary to Harry
“Utterly disappointing. This is symptomatic of why our country has been largely stripped of its character, verve and color, leaving nothing but a sterile petri dish of un-opinionated individuals..”
“Ignorance and bigotry are foolishness. Recognition of the heritage of our forefathers, and respect for diversity of our nation are not.”
“Sometimes, the saddest thing about Singapore is not that we have an authoritarian government, but that the people think it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to them.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
The Gospel of Harry | Dialects are for stupids
– groundnotes: Cunning Linguist
– Yummy BBQ Chicken Wings: Is it stupid to learn dialects?
– TOC: A response to MM Lee’s private secretary on dialects [Recommended]
– The Lycan Times: Commentary: Dialects and the Bilingual Education Policy
– Empty Vessel: Where’s the diplomacy?
– Feed Me To The Fish: Who’s Stupid? Dialect or Principal Private Secretary?
– The Sun Shines on Singapore: “Stupid” and Reading Between the Lines
– The Void Deck: TVD’s Picks: Use “Stupid” Sure Habis One?
– Everyday’s Life in a Snapshot: Civil Servant called his parents and grandparents and his great-grandparents stupid
– My sketchbook: Let’s talk about dialects
– Chemical Generation Singapore: The Death of Dialect
– vinyarb: are we being led by stupids?
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Not by wages alone… [Recommended]
– Just Our Views: No End In Sight – Part 1 [Thanks Our Views]
– The Age: Globalisation’s demise sinking Singapore [Thanks Loyola]
– Wayang Party Club: Jobs for Singaporeans or foreigners?
– Aussie Pete: Signs Of An Economic Downturn?
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Listen to what this woman said..
– Tan Kin Lian: Creating jobs
– Support Site for the Unemployed: Helping private enterprises create jobs (APCA) [Thanks Aggrieved One]
– Blowin’ In The Wind: IMF forecast Great Recession at Singapore summit
– Still Baking After All These Years: Rules of Thumb …. And How To Have Better Thumbs
– Singaporean Skeptic: Misguided attempt to help the economy
– Singaporean Skeptic: Are our lawyers equipped to handle the financial market?
The Gospel of Harry | GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments
– Just Our Views: CIC vs GIC [Thanks Our Views]
– Wayang Party Club: How did we allow our sovereign wealth funds to lose so much money?
– Singabloodypore: Singapore foreign reserves dropped by S$13.42 billion
– Today In Singapore: Clearing The Air
– Sgpolitics.net: No Singaporean fit to manage our country’s reserves?
– The Brotherhood: The Most Innovative Nation In The World Needs An American To Run Temasek?
– Singabloodypore: Singapore’s GIC RE unfazed by $360m hit
General Election 2009
– Singapore Angle: Registration of Overseas Electors
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Elections are imminent Part 2
– Sgpolitics.net: SDP continues campaign in Bukit Panjang
– Blowin’ In The Wind: When MM Lee spoke against one-man, one-vote
The Aftermath of the NTU Passings
– Anonymous_X: 2nd death in NTU: a staff found hanged
– the kent ridge common: Aftermath of the NTU stabbing and suicide incident: Changes the university(s) can consider
– TOC: Debunking the erroneous reporting in the mainstream media: David Widjaja’s brother speaks out
– TOC: Stabbing incident in NTU — is it really an “attack”?
– Empty Vessels: Tenuous at best [Recommended]
– Wayang Party Club: David Widjaja’s “suicide”: Separating the facts from the myths in the NTU “stabbing” tragedy
– The boy who knew too much: The cause of NTU’s suicide habit [Recommended]
– Sgpolitics: Sgpolitics.net did NOT participate in the misleading spin provided by the mainstream media
The Passing of Dr Allan Ooi
– Wayang Party: Dr Allan Ooi’s farewell letter and last words before his death: Questions for SAF to answer
– Wayang Party Club: Sin Ming forced to publish Dr Allan Ooi’s farewell letter with a different SPIN to distract attention from the real reason behind his suicide
– Kaffein-nated: What you read is not what you read
– Everyday’s Life in a Snapshot: Shameless ST sinks to all-time low
We Don’t Need No Regulation
– mrbrown: the mrbrown show: new media gahmen
– Gerald Giam: E-Engaging young S’poreans…with whom?
– Seah Chiang Nee: Engaging the young and restless on their virtual turf
IPS Forum: Getting Their Hands Dirty: Recent Developments in Singapore’s Political Blogosphere
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Old vs New: Providing alternatives or power-grab?
Town Councils and Sinking Funds
– WayangParty: Teo Ho Pin replies to reader’s email on CDC’s bonus: this is CONFIDENTIAL
– The Singapore Enquirer: Dr Teo Ho Pin’s curt reply to reader draws flak from netizens
Fixin’ the Opposition
– Sgpolitics.net: I was no “protege”: Chee Soon Juan
– Singabloodypore: The media’s agenda against the Singapore Democrats
– eternalhap: We need some intellectual power
– Wayang Party: Performance of opposition states in Malaysia repudiates scare tactics of MM Lee
Lee vs Kangaroos
– Jaslyn Go’s Blog: Jufri emerges from QRP wearing TBT t-shirt
Truth, Justice and the Singapore Way
– Yawning Bread: Why arrested persons shouldn’t have lawyers [Recommended]
– Today In Singapore: Police Priorities
– TOC: The not-so-universal declaration of human rights
Healthcare | Is Cancer Contagious
– Vexillum II: Catch up with the Facts, Andy
– Angry Doctor: Can you catch cancer?
– Angry Doctor: Is cancer contagious?
– Vexillum II: Cancer as a Transmissable Disease, A Public Health Issue?
ERPains, Trains & Automobiles
– TOC: Fares up but pay down?
– Singapore Social Activist: Who Killed Singapore21? [Recommended]
– TOC: Bukit Merah Town Council’s negligence caused girl, 7, to fall through railings?
– Angry Doctor: Handicap
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Doing transaction over SMRT fare gate? Becareful, you might be breaking the law
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Barmy about Obama, candid about banks
– Old Folks Say: That is no way to talk with your folks, mate! [Thanks Messenger]
– Just Our Views: Is Re-Merger Possible? [Thanks Our Views]
– My Little Corner: Government to look at cloud computing? Beware.
– Vexillum II: I did not read what I sent you
– Angry Doctor: Handicap 2
– Balderdash: “S’pore tops in innovation”
– Sgpolitics.net: Singapore is a first world country that can’t produce and nurture talents
– TOC: Singapore’s edge as a manufacturing hub
– Just Our Views: Cook PS gone for another course? [Thanks Our Views]
– Everyday’s Life in a Snapshot: The Myth of the PAP Singapore’s Miracle part II [Recommended]
– SA: Perspectives: Caplan’s Twin (Non)Paradoxes [Thanks ringisei]
– Kaffein-nated: One man’s ideas? I think not
– Digital Terrorist: Perhaps, Facebook-Clone for NS Portal?
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Singapore 10th most expensive city in the world!
– The Temple Of Thoughts 3: A Country Love
– still me: A reply to libertarians
– My Thoughts..: Does ‘Not Unhappy’ = Happy?
– Yummy BBQ Chicken Wings: All bubbles burst
– under a Pipala Tree: give you your freedom of speech
Life, the universe and everything
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Our Architecture
– A L V I N O L O G Y: Singapore Entertainment Awards 2009 Celebration Party – Photos Galore!
– Fire in my Life: What’s happening to Internet Radio Streaming Service in Singapore? [Thanks Joel]
– Singapore Social Activist: A Marine Reserve for Singapore
– eastcoastlife: Vanishing Singaporean Hand-made Sausages
– Unique-Frequency: Introducing: The GennY Podcast – A Gen Y Podcast From Singapore
– eastcoastlife: Horse Watching at Riders Cafe – WW
– The Hermit: Sad Life of Singaporeans
– mrbrown: STOMP: now you can show your ignorance to the whole world
– Yesterday…Today…Tomorrow: Former NAAFI & SAF NCO Club
– NO BUNS NO LIFE: Control a LIVE BEETLE by Remote Control! Can be used for Surveillence Missions
– Midnight Monkey Monitor: I signed the No Whaleshark petition, have you?
– The boy who knew too much: Jade Goody and modern fame
– The Lycan Times: Internet Radio Cessation
– Dannychoo.com: A Week in Singapore
The Arts, Film and Music
– Cooler Insights: To Market Or Not To Market?
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Noise Singapore
– Rambling Librarian: Creative Crew Singapore – March Meeting @ Central Public Library
– Used Brains For Sale: Sayoni Events: Anniversary Party and Summer Camp
– Random-ness & Thoughts: Event: Monopoly National Championship 2009
– Moving Higher In Souped-up Heuristically Agon Moment: Driving to IT Show? Here’s a Quick Carpark Guide
– Singapore Entrepreneurs: MobileMonday Singapore Peer Awards 2009