“Please ask your like-minded friends to join Aware so that you can give the vote to those who wish to be an agent of change for the Lord.. Unfortunately, I cannot surface but shall be assisting in the background. I attach the Aware membership application form for your use. The Aware application form has a section as to who (if any) told you about Aware. You can just leave it blank.”
Thio Su Mien
“Surface you did like the proverbial serpent from the ocean depths. And as the sun caught your face, your through form was revealed – feminist mentor arise!”
“I hereby announce OPERATION LEPER.”
“But the most important lesson I have learned from this saga, is this: One voice – one vote, can make the difference.”
“I don’t have an issue with homophobia as much as I do with hypocrisy from self-righteous people who think they have any right at all to discriminate.”
“Because you have been trained to disdain freedom, and because you have been encouraged to love your own servitude and bondage.”
“When intelligent and viable means for disagreement are removed or marginalised; when the people are reared within a monocultural system where conformity and uniformity are fetishised; when people are appealed to by the obvious and have little appreciation of detail; when people are bred within a rule-based as opposed to a reason-based intellectual economy; it is not surprising that the more irate amongst them will resort to regrettable means to express their ire.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
Takeover of AWARE
- Alice Cheong in Wonderland: A peek at values coached at Anglican Church of Our Saviour
- Illusio: Operation Leper
- Sam’s Thoughts: AWARE and information
- Freelancejoker: Aware? Beware.
- Sui Generis Me: Political drama of AWARE
- The Phallus Monologue: Beware of Aware
- The Sun Shines on Singapore: Mother Goose Stories
- Isolation: The AWARE Saga
- Where Bears Roam Free: Public call to join AWARE may backfire
- inter alia: Don’t be unAWARE
- The Lycan Times: Be Blissfully UnAWARE
- The Wayang Party: Is this AWARE cat fight, the greatest thing that has ever happened to Singapore civil society? [Recommended]
- The Itch to Write: DBS publicly criticises AWARE’s new Head
- Kaffein-nated: No way, Jose… er, Josie
- The Wayang Party: The day DBS read, “Don’t Be Silly! Volunteering is hazardous to your career!
- TOC: Constance Singam’s letter to AWARE, in full
- Mathia Lee: AWARE AGM 2009 : EOGM : Do SOMETHING!
- Sgpolitics: The new leadership at AWARE has done great disservice to the organization and to all Singaporean women
- Carpe Diem: BeAWARE: Keep religion out of civil society
- The Kent Ridge Common: To AWARE’s new exco: Please leave out your religion!
- The Wayang Party: Offer of olive branch by AWARE President Josie Lau Meng Lee failed to convince sceptics; Old Guards gathering troops to fight back
- Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: “We didn’t start the fire…”
- Sam’s Thoughts: Aware making me wary and weary
- Glass Castle Blog: Josie Lau led promotion of anti-woman organisation
- The Kent Ridge Common: The AWARE Saga and Political ‘Capture’: Lessons for Civil Society
- For Want of a Better Title: Sore Losers?
- Illusio: Operation Leper: Lois Ng & Studio You
- Yawning Bread: DBS Bank’s public hanging
- inter alia: Letter criticises TOC for use of “divisive labels” in article
- The Wayang Party: VIDEO: AWARE new President Josie Lau was evasive on sensitive questions during interview with CNA “Talking Point” (Part 1)(Part 2)
- Used Brains For Sale: AWARE Membership Drive
- We Are AWARE: Call to Action
- Illusio: What does religion have to do with anything?
- still me: Bringing back AWARE
- Popagandhi: Stop the AWARE Hijacking
- GenieGrrl: AWARE v the wolf in sheep’s clothing. (or, Stay away, please.)
- SinQSA: SinQSA is concerned about Aware
- The Kent Ridge Common: Criminalizing attempts aimed at provoking discrimination against sexual minorities
- TOC: Josie Lau’s interview leaves questions unanswered
- Yawning Bread: Pirates ahoy! Gay netizens and the AWARE hijacking
- The Wayang Party: Who are the real winners and losers of the AWARE fiasco?
- Sgpolitics: Unpublished ST letter: Why I joined Aware this week
- Sam’s Thoughts: We are Aware, are you?
- Sgpolitics: Ms Angela Thiang has also written to the Straits Times on abortion
- The Void Deck: Conspiracy Theory Awareness
- blankanvas: aware: to find one’s voice again
- Writing-Yoga-Living: I Want An AWARE Reconciliation Too.
- The Wayang Party: Supporters of AWARE old guards step up internet campaign against new exco
- Traces from elsewhere: An Open Letter on AWARE, Singapore
- Information Read by Me: Old Guards of AWARE are BUYING VOTES? [Thanks Jaunty Jabber]
- STOMP: AWARE – The Hidden Hand
- Trevvy Forums: Aware – The Hidden Hand
- Mathia Lee: They came for me
- TOC: Thio Su Mien comes out
- Sgpolitics: Misinformation spread by AWARE’s new Exco is deserving of the sternest rebuke [Recommended]
- Simply Jean: Reason for AWARE coup: group was becoming pro-lesbianism
- Sam’s Thoughts: More (secret) rallies to support or save Aware
- Unbranded Bread n Butter: Are you AWARE email is Evil? [Thanks auntie]
- SingapuraKini: Anonymous email in supporting AWARE [Thanks Singapura kini]
- ThangDynasty: A Greater AWAREness [Thanks Pat] [Recommended]
- Alice Cheong in Wonderland: AWARE saga: Too many questions left unanswered
- The Wayang Party: Why even Jesus would agree religion has no place in the public square of civil society
- ST Discussion Board: New exco tells of death threats
- HWZ: THIO SU MIEN – Behind AWARE takeover
- The Kent Ridge Common: Notice: Join AWARE and Vote
- Used Brains For Sale: Save AWARE! Gender equality for all!
- Singabloodypore: Singapore’s LGBT community plans ‘pink dot’ event
Public Order Bill
- Feed Me To The Fish: Good Laws or Major FLaws?
- Today in Singapore: Reading The Riot Act
- Siew Kum Hong: Speech on the Public Order Bill: 13 April 2009
- TOC: For much is at stake
- The Wayang Party: Regressive Public Order Act serves more of a political than security purpose
- Cavalierio: Silenced, defenceless [Recommended]
- Dee Kay Dot As Gee: What if this happens in Singapore?
- ed’sperience: Singapore : quelling dissent. The Minister, the Match and the Idiot [Recommended]
- Jacob’s Weblog: Further restrictions on rights in Singapore – Amnesty International
- Only “objective” and “factual” political films please, we’re Singaporeans: Govt retains ban on Zahari’s 17 Years
- Siew Kum Hong: Speech on the Films (Amendment) Bill: 23 March 2009
Life After Harry
- a writer’s blog: Can Singapore fail?
- TOC: Singapore beyond Lee Kuan Yew
- The Wayang Party: Singapore beyond LKY? Do Dodo birds have the wisdom to avert extinction? [Thanks Darkness]
- a writer’s blog: A new model of political governance
- Civic Advocator: Beyond LKY
- Singapore in General: Possible Singapores, beyond Lee Kuan Yew [Thanks Soojenn]
- Seelan Palay’s Blog: Baby gloom haunts Lee & Why LKY should play SimCity
- TOC: It does get worse
- The boy who knew too much: The Great Singaporean Expat Exodus
- the kent ridge common: A critical view of MP Ms Irene Ng’s advice
- Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Where are the jobs?
- Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Graduates Are Wasting Their Time
- Singapore and the stuff: Minister makes another gaffe
- Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore 10% GDP drop, 7.5% unemployment likely: IMF report
Charity/Church Leaders Get Rich r Die Tryin
- geraldgiam.sg: MP’s loan “probably the biggest” ever given out
- TOC: More questions for Dr Ong
- Diary of A Singaporean Mind: What and who can you trust?
- Singapore Alternatives: Taiwan World Class Medical Insurance– Translated
General Elections 2009
- The Lionheart: Much Ado About Nothing
Strangers in a Strange Land
- Ian On The Red Dot: Singapore Sucks And I Can’t Marry You Cos You’re Not A Virgin
We Don’t Need No Regulation
- Balderdash: keep cyberspace chatter meaningful
- TOC: Profiteering or justified? What is HDB’s stand?
- The Kent Ridge Common: The science that religious figureheads and associates are unaware of
- Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Loansharking : PAP govt’s brilliant solution
- Rambling Librarian: Bloggers, moderators can help ease public fears in crises
- Seelan Palay’s Blog: Parameswara’s Weekly Round-Up (5th – 11th April 09) [Thanks Seelan]
- Sgpolitics: Self-Censorship: Singapore’s Shame (2nd Edition), Chapter 3
- Simple is the Reason of My Heart: Singapore Government need to do more on Data Privacy
- TOC: Stand up and be counted
- Empty Vessel: Casual observations on human nature
- The Wayang Party: NEA CEO’s open letter: Full of empty rhetoric and short of substance
- Angry Doctor: First do no harm?
- Bernard Aw’s Blog: What I have learnt from ASEAN and Asia Forum 2009?
- TOC: Microfinance: is it the answer?
- Sgpolitics: US expert ‘extremely concerned’ about e-voting in S’pore
- TOC: Student activism – what’s next? [Recommended]
- naif’s journal: eat your words [Thanks jerome]
- Sam’s Thoughts: Nudism in Singapore
- TOC: Protecting consumers
- Singaland: World Standard Government?
- The Wayang Party: What should the Indian rojak man be charged for?
- Everyday’s Life in a Snapshot: Taxpayers paying for MINDEF’s officers’ private transport [Thanks Jaunty Jabber]
- The Asia File: Singapore to welcome ‘Dr Death’ after Oxford Union rebuff [Thanks hilary]
- The Wayang Party: Questions for Justice Choo Han Teck in the sentencing of Shin Min [Thanks Alex]
- The Kent Ridge Common: The issues involving the separation of conjoined twins
Life, the universe and everything
- Bernard Aw’s Blog: AAF 2009 – Pt 1 of 2
- The Field Marshal: Flight
- Midnight Monkey Monitor: Meeting with Resorts World
- The FØØL’s Progress: Mega Culture: Uni Qlo Singapore
- Sam’s Thoughts: S Factor is ok
- theory.isthereason: Presentation: The Obama Way – Using Online Social Networks to Promote Your Cause
- Midnight Monkey Monitor: Doing something “special” for Earth Day
- TOC: Earth Day Special: Equity and the Green Movement
- The Reflection Cafe: Can America Fail?
- Yesterday….Today….Tomorrow: Beginnings at Telok Ayer
- Cooler Insights: Can We Truly Market the Arts?
- vinyarb: Taken – A movie Review
- Ong Jiin Joo: TPO Concert: Papa Haydn and You Too (May 7)
- Moving Higher In Souped-up Heuristically Agon Moment: Send Twitter Using SMS in SG
- Midnight Monkey Monitor: Upcoming seminars by ISEAS
- Singapore Entrepreneurs: Event: MobileMonday-Why You Should Be An iPhone Developer – 30 Apr
- Nites Out On The Town: Universal Studios Singapore Auditions
- Otterman speaks..: Draft Singapore Blue Plan released for feedback