“The arrogance of power. Combine that with great wealth, quick progress, a group think syndrome, limited thinking style and big responsibility at a relatively immature age and you have a potent mix.”
“Half of Singapore’s population could consists of foreigners in 11 years time..”
“The uninvited guests should be investigated for barging in to and disrupting a private event.”
“These [NCMP/NMP] guys can bark. But they can’t bite.”
“[Lee Hsien Loong] left out the most important gap in Singapore – the gap between the leaders and ordinary people.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
H1N1 Swine Flu
– The Gigamole Diaries: H1N1 (aka American flu) – naming…not shaming
– Singapore M.D: Community transmission of H1N1
– Singapore and the stuff: What price – social responsibility?
– The Gigamole Diaries: H1N1 (aka American flu) – mortality rates, real or not?
– Big Talk Singapore: Singapore loosening control of Swine flu (H1N1) spread
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Wear a mask if you are sick
– Emerald Hills: Aspiring for the Swine Flu Pandemic Gold Medal? [Thanks WY Whoo]
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: Surviving (suspected) H1N1
– TOC: Let the Games continue!
– My Little Corner: High Risk Group for H1N1
– The boy who knew too much: H1N1 flu and personal hygiene, in Singapore.
– Totobobo: Totobobo mask hits 25 countries [die die must buy?]
– Sgpolitics: TTSH releases clinical data of first 50 H1N1 patients in Singapore [Symptoms info]
Singapore Politics They Are a-Changin’
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: Twittering MPs in Parliament?
– the kent ridge common: Voting for status quo or ruling party?
– that burning republic-state doesn’t sway placidity: The Nature & Power of Politics
– Article 14: Uniquely Singapore: Papmandering [Recommended]
– Sgpolitics.net: Standing up for the people on bended knees [Recommended]
– Chill Out: Kwayteowman’s questions [Thanks the voiddeck]
Lee vs Mahathir
– ed’sperience’s Blog: 50 Years of PAP – on the idea of ‘Foreign Interference in Internal Affairs’
– Singapore Recalcitrant: Stark Awakening from a Nostalgic Dream
– ed’sperience’s Blog: 50 Years of PAP: Why the Chinese Aren’t the ‘Majority’ in Singapore
– The Sketch Times: Singapore-Malaysia Ties
– Bernard Aw’s Blog: Is Iskandar the start of a beautiful relationship?
– Subba’s Serendipitous moments: Will Singapore learn the lessons from the financial crisis? [Recommended]
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Recession pain…where…?
– Recruit Ong: When people enter the market in droves, it is usually peaking
– Edwin’s Blog: SIA pilots take pay cut?? How about our ministers? [Thanks Fred]
– My Little Corner: Inflation is down 0.3%
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments
– Simply Gab: Losing touch and sense of proportion
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Off with the Heads!
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Straits Times : Temasek better than Warren Buffett… [Recommended]
Remembering Anthony Yeo
– Sgpolitics.net: Your flame will always shine, Anthony
– Sam’s thoughts: The late Anthony Yeo’s letters to the press
– The Gigamole Diaries: Anthony Yeo – in pace requiscat …
– TOC: Remembering Anthony Yeo
– Moving Higher In Souped-up Heuristically Agon Moment: Eulogy to Mr Anthony Yeo
Strangers in a Strange Land
– TOC: A nation of foreigners in 11 years [Recommended]
– Singaporean Skeptic: Island gets more crowded. Facts and Figures.
– Next Stop Wonderland: ST: Spore’s population is 4.84 million
World Refugee Day
– TOC: World Refugee Day – Wan’s Story [Thanks Donald]
Lionel de Souza vs TOC
– TOC: MDA replies to Lionel De Souza
– the kent ridge common: Singaporization of American education and Americanization of Singapore education?
– Singaporean Skeptic: The Lease Buy-Back Scheme. The difference between owning and renting.
Healthcare & Healthcare Givers
– Singapore M.D.: Disciplinary tribunals are not law courts – so what?
The Aftermath of the NTU Passings
– Anonymous_X: The curious–and curiouser–case of David Hartanto Widjaja: How selective media can be?!
– Laïcité: The ineffectiveness of abstinence-only sex education
– The Gigamole Diaries: Origins of homosexuality?
Little Green Dot
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Kotex – Setting a new Singapore record in polluting the environment thru mass balloon release
International – Baguettes in Burkas
– ed’sperience’s Blog: Sarkozy : ‘Difference Not Welcome in France’
– Laïcité: French secularism and the burka
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Beautiful Distraction
Iran Election Protests
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: No Winners in Iran
– that burning republic-state doesn’t sway placidity: The French Experience: Between the Burqa and Secularism
– Singapore Social Activist: Kang Nam headed to Singapore
– Information Read By Me: Important: Molest by Foreigner
– Gimme Some Truth: Racing off with S$500,000,000″
– Mr Wang Says So: My Book Launch … and Some Reflections on Airports
– i have succumbed to peer pressure: Corporate/SAF/Civil service culture in Singapore [Thanks mr.udders]
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: List of swimmers who have qualified for this year’s SEA Games
– My sketchbook: 3rd most densely populated country in the world
– Singapore Angle: Family Charter?
– The Gigamole Diaries: Marriage and alimony – Dr Soin’s Fallacy
– Today In Singapore: How To Fix The Private Estates
– Only “objective” and “factual” political films please, we’re Singaporeans: Police investigates filmmaker over screening
– Sam’s thoughts: Snob Snob! Who’s There?
– Forum of Vegetarian Society (Singapore): Singapore Zoo to Give Away Some ‘Inmates’ to Indian Zoo? [Thanks Ganga]
– Balderdash: My Case against Public Breastfeeding
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Illusion of Superiority and Dangers of Elitism… [Recommended]
Life, the universe and everything
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: The Singapore Identity?
– the kent ridge common: The ISD bogeyman
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Correct approach to select an insurance policy
– Aussie Pete: The Seed / Focus on Solutions
– Singapore Entrepreneurs: Interview with Kenneth Lee, Founder of Green Koncepts
– Singapore Fountain Pen: Conquering Mt. Faber: The Mizuno Mount Faber Run 2009 [Thanks Lemon]
– Balderdash: Singaporean men are fussy, Singaporean women are even more fussy
Books and Papercuts
– Singapore Democrats Blog: Constructing Singapore: “pragmatism” and personalised power [Thanks Seelan Palay]
– Midnight Monkey Monitor: Pulau Ubin Stories Workshop, 3 Jul 2009, 7pm