“In a time of Singapore’s worse recession in its history, where thousands are out of job and struggling to survive, one would have to question if such ostentatious show of patriotism is necessary.”
“The Singaporean appears to be a declining breed.”
Seah Chiang Nee
“I had elite envy.”
“She wears the skin of the monster we hate, and in the process exposes most of us as monsters ourselves..”
“[Shopping’s] the ultimate non-confrontational, passive activism. It is so Singaporean.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
The 1st Malay Brigadier General
– TOC: Singapore’s first Malay general – a star of things to come?
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Our First Malay BG – What was Said and Not Said
– Today In Singapore: All Hail The Generals
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: A Malay-Muslim BG does not a policy change make
– geraldgiam.sg: Malays deserve equal opportunities in the SAF\
– nofearSingapore: Malays and SAF: Revisiting the issue [Thanks Dr.Huang]
– My Singapore News: Discrimination – Malaysian and Singapore models
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: SAF’s first Malay General
Singapore Politics They Are a-Changin’
– Singapore Alternatives: The Concept of Power – NCMP better than Proportionate Representation?
– the kent ridge common: Taking an opposition position and career prospects
– Feed Me To The Fish: Alamak, they move the goalposts again!
– Singapore Enquirer: ANALYSIS-Singapore seeks to manage political change
– Sgpolitics.net: Thoughts on Singapore politics: The road ahead
– Singapore Democrats Blog: A credible and effective opposition [Thanks Seelan]
H1N1 Swine Flu
– Singapore Social Activist: Let the games continue!
– TOC: The Khaw Strategy – myth or fact?
– The Gigamole Diaries: Anthropomorphising the virus – Prof Tambyah’s view
– Emerald Hills: H1N1 – Local Cases Reached 599! [Thanks wywhoo]
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: What Good Is It?
– utopia8787: Evidence of locals becoming second class citizens
– The Gigamole Diaries: H1N1 (aka American flu) – time to end the confusion, MOH
– Today In Singapore: The Outbreak
– Singapore Fountain Pen: When H1N1 Hits Home – Day 1 [Thanks Lemon]
– The Gigamole Diaries: Vaccine safety – preparing for the eventuality
– The Gigamole Diaries: H1N1 (aka American flu) – Making it clear
– Emerald Hills: H1N1 Alert – Why are we so Yellow? [Thanks WY Whoo]
Healthcare & Healthcare Givers
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: How healthcare costs creep up… [Recommended]
42nd ASEAN Ministerial Meeting. ASEAN Human Rights Commission
– Jacob 69er: ASEAN Human Rights Body dismissed as “toothless”
– TOC: ASEAN – toothless but with a “sharp tongue”?
– ed’sperience’s Blog: Asian Human Rights body – the pill and the diaphragm, a tale of two contraceptives
– Singabloodypore: ASEAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
– Bernard Aw’s Blog: Are we going to see our CPF money?
– Singabloodypore: Welcome to Alice in Wonderland -Two Integrated Resorts Coming up! [Recommended]
– Gimme Some Truth!: Rethinking the “ED” in “EDB”
Operation Spectrum Open Forum
– Singapore Democrats Blog: Operation Spectrum open forum: a good start [Thanks Seelan]
– TOC: Operation Spectrum forum: breaking the ice after 22 years
– Only “objective” and “factual” political films please, we’re Singaporeans: Reviews: Operation Spectrum public forum
Freedom, Choice and a place for my Voice
– Only “objective” and “factual” political films please, we’re Singaporeans: Videos : Zahari’s 17 Years, Upturn The Downturn and Mas Selamat parodies
Lee vs Chee
– Singapore Democrats Blog: Chee in Taiwan for in-law’s funeral, judge rescinds warrant of arrest
– Singapore Democrats: ONUL acclaimed by local art critic
– Chee Siok Chin’s Blog: Don’t Stop Believing [Thanks Seelan]
National Day 2009
– TOC: Celebrate National Day – but is this necessary? [Recommended]
The Aftermath of the NTU Passings
– Information Read By Me: On David Hartanto Widjaja: It was absolutely NOT a Suicide?
Asian Youth Games
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Don’t taint Games with Politics
– running legs: 7% is still just 7%, how much you want it to rise?
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: Newsflash: Singapore wins second bowling gold at Asian Youth Games, and three more bronzes
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: Newsflash: Lynette splashes her way to freestyle gold and new national mark
– Singapore Entrepreneurs: Get Your AYG Fix At Red Sports
– TOC: An extraordinary film – Burma VJ
– Subba’s Serendipitous moments: In Government spin zone
– For Want of a Better Title: Honduras Situation
– Readings From A Political Duo-ble: Spilling the Oil Corporations (Part I) – Niger Delta
– the kent ridge common: YES to civil servant, NO to government executive
– Singaporean Skeptic: Your Electricity Bill is going up again
– Littlespeck: Tale of a shop’s closure
– My Singapore News: A transient society
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: I curse the day I was born a Singaporean’ [Thanks Seelan & hil]
– Sgpolitics.net: My internet connection was cut off — time spent briefly reflecting on various issues
– Today In Singapore: Lapses In Accountability
– TOC: Migrating Singaporeans – help improve employment opportunities first
– Readings From A Political Duo-ble: What does the TI survey on Corruption tell us about Singapore?
– The Gigamole Diaries: Cat poisoning in Bayshore? Get those pest busters…
– Laïcité: Marital rape and the presumption of consent
– groundnotes: Citizen Shoppers
– the kent ridge common: A comparison of CEP qualities adopted by our civil service and Shell Petroleum
– Yawning Bread: Extortion rackets as a symptom of political malaise
– TOC: Should the use of dialects be encouraged once more?
– Yawning Bread: Mediacorp should stay out of events management
– Nomed Letters: Sympathizers and Elites [Thanks Lived Nomed]
– Today In Singapore: Why So Serious?
– running legs: Something we don’t see in ST everyday…
– Blowin’ In The Wind: India more gay-friendly than Singapore?
Life, the universe and everything
– Ian On The Red Dot: Bloggers versus Journalists – Flawless Victory?
– Mathia Lee: How Advocacy & Private Funding can reduce the Power Asymmetry in Singapore
– Unfortunately Singapore: Government Lapses – Have you read the IM?
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: Newsflash: Singapore go down to Iran in AYG football second round group match
– NO BUNS NO LIFE: La Oroya, One of World’s Most POLLUTED Town provides a Livelihood for Many
– Yawning Bread: Take my photo again, she said [Thanks hil]
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Support Gazetting Lim Bo Seng’s grave as a National Monument
– The fire in my life: Soya Boom![Thanks Joel]
– Die neue Welle: I am Singaporean XVIII – 2nd Class Citizenship
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: Newsflash: Singapore wins its first medals at Asian Youth Games
– Singapore Entrepreneurs: Get Islamic Information At Your Fingertips With iAlif
– Anonymous_X: A blogger “Intellectual Snob” vs. Netizens: No score yet…
– Growing your tree of prosperity: What is the best possible response towards Elitism? [Thanks Wai Chung]
– The Enquirer: The last global entertainer
– Backstage Business: More Photos from our World Record Illusion Act!
– Anonymous X: Sherwyn Lui’s winning video contest of Coke Zero’s ‘It’s Possible’ [Thanks Wacky Artz]
– Street71’s Perspective of Singapore: There is NO Free-to-Air TV Channel in Singapore!
– the kent ridge common: Of IDF and SAF
– The Gigamole Diaries: 104 years old today – a heritage forgotten?
– My Little Corner: Why Transformers 2 sucks