“Instead of issuing the “Foreign talents provide jobs for Singaporeans” rhetoric, a new mantra “Paying attention to Singaporeans (homegrown industries) to create jobs for Singaporeans” should be preached.”
“..curiously enough, [Case Executive Director] Mr. Seah.. appears to be more concerned about safeguarding the interests of [Private Educational Organisations] than that of consumers.”
“..I was pointing out that under the law, non-consummation of a marriage is grounds for annulment. It is obvious that sex is considered part of marriage.”
“..it appears that the Government is able to legally STOP paying you out of YOUR [CPF] savings accumulated from YOUR hardwork and locked by a portion of YOUR MINIMUM SUM CPF balances if the Lifelong Income Fund is insolvent.”
“NDPs are depressing. They remind me of everything that is orchestrated, superficial, rehearsed, practiced, and devised from top-down in Singapore.”
“The reporter ended her video presentation on the note: “Nothing escapes the eyes of the law, including a sweet.” But clearly, common sense has.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments: Guess Ho’s baaaaack..
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Goodyear did not even last 1 year..
– Readings From A Political Duo-ble: The Secretive Temasek Holdings
– Singaporean Skeptic: Ho Ching is back in business.
– Yaw Shin Leong: Renewing or Remaining?
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Chip shots
– the kent ridge common: Goodyear’s departure from Temasek Holdings and the days ahead
– mrbrown: The wonderful world of changing headlines
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Goodbye to Goodyear
– Singapore Recalcitrant: The Temasek Conundrum
– Today In Singapore: Goodbye To Goodyear
– Singapore Democrats Blog: Temasek has much to explain over Goodyear [Thanks Seelan]
– TOC: The president, the cabinet, Ho Ching, Temasek’s Board of Directors – all got it wrong?
– Inquivision: A Goodyear for Temasek’s corporate governance?
– The Wayang Party: How much did Chip’s “stint” at Temasek cost Singapore taxpayers?
– TOC: Are you angry yet?
– Chee Wai’s Random Musings: Goodyear leaves Temasek
– Feed Me To The Fish: God knows!
– My sketchbook: Temasek’s CEO hotseat
High Notes & Minibonds
– Siew Kum Hong: MAS and structured products
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Petition to Prime Minister on Credit Linked Notes (2)
– Inquivision: Review on article in the Economist about bank stocks and employees
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Lim Hng Kiang : Structured Notes Fiasco settled fairly…. [Recommended]
– Siew Kum Hong: The free market does not protect consumers
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Hong Kong : Final Minibond Settlement
– My Little Corner: Hong Kong Maybe Refunding Up to 70% of the Minibond value
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Gathering in Hong Lim Park on 22 Aug 09
– The Wayang Party: Straits Times DELETED online article on HK compensation of minibond investors
AWARE Aftermath: Thiology Goes to NYU
– Laïcité: Homophobia is not just another point of view [Recommended]
– Above the Law: Dr. Thio Is Not Coming To NYU Law. Official NYU statement now available.
– the kent ridge common: Professor Thio’s withdrawal from her stint at NYU – Differences in educational cultures
– Sam’s thoughts: Thio, NYU and human beings
– The Wayang Party: Student opposition forced Thio Li-Ann to call off teaching stint at NYU
Strangers in a Strange Land
– geraldgiam.sg: Singapore: Multiculturalism or the melting pot? [Recommended]
– Mathia Lee: The New Racial Disharmony
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Are We a Nation Yet?
– TOC: 11 Vietnamese students awarded scholarships worth US$1.24 million
– ed’s Blog: The formula for the realisation of harmony, and a bit on foreign competition
– Singapore Social Activist: Facebook chat with Dr. Lim Wee Kiak (MP Sembawang GRC)
Auditor-General Report 2008/09
– The Gigamole Diaries: Auditor General’s Report – How did our MOH do?
– Today In Singapore: More Work For The AG
– The Gigamole Diaries: Are our regulatory agencies adequately china-walled against conflicts of interests?
– Five Cents Ten Cents: CPF Life: Money May Not Be Enough (Singapore Edition) [Thanks Panzer] [Recommended]
– Sgpolitics.net: STOP THE WAYANG, just return us our CPF!
– The Sun Shines on Singapore: CPF Life and Your Life
– Today In Singapore: Your CPF: Is It Really Secure?
ERPains, Trains & Automobiles
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: No eating on the MRT..
– Singapore Life and Times: A fine society
– The fire in my life: Can anyone please help Roger Foo? [Thanks Joel]
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Public Service Announcement: No sweet allowed on SMRT
– The Lycan Times: SMRT To Reinforce No Drinking / Eating On Trains
– Sgpolitics.net: Ignoring the spirit of the law: Woman fined $30 for eating sweet on MRT to relieve motion sickness
– Die neue Welle: I am Singaporean XIX – Legality and Morality
– the kent ridge common: Our economic fundamentals [Recommended]
H1N1 Swine Flu
– The Gigamole Diaries: Why the difference between HIV and H1N1? Exceptionalism?
– Singapore M.D.: H1N1 influenza pandemic – take a deep breath..
Say No To Marital Rape
– Balderdash: If you don’t want to fulfill your marital right, u better not marry..
– Aussie Pete: You Can Put Lipstick On A Pig – It’s Still Rape!!
– The Lycan Times: No To Rape Petition
– the kent ridge common: Singapore Education: Embracing websites telling an alternative viewpoint
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Known Since 2007?
Opposition Wards Not Eligible for the Lift Upgrading
– the BOX of nice things: Hougang and Potong Pasir gets lift upgrading!
– Sam’s thoughts: Who’s afraid of the big bad fag?
National Day 2009
– groundnotes: National Gay Parades [Recommended]
ASEAN Human Rights Commission
– Jacob 69er: Southeast Asian nations face anger over new rights body
– Chemical Generation Singapore: JI is Back with a Bang
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Controlling and monitoring dangerous materials
– Military Life: Terrorism Unlimited: Duty, Honour and Country [Thanks Panzer]
– Angry Doctor: “Good, absolute values”
– Celluloid Reality(s): A split in Iran?
– Sgpolitics: To fight for bread and butter issues, we need democracy
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: Government refuses to classify One Nation Under Lee [Thanks Seelan]
– Only “objective” and “factual” political films please, we’re Singaporeans: Censors refuse to classify One Nation Under Lee
– Singapore Democrats Blog: Unyielding leadership [Thanks Seelan]
– Die neue Welle: Wake Up Your Idea lah..
– My Sketchbook: MAS suffers S$9.2 Bln loss in FY 08/09
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: MOE registration and CaseTrust no enough? [Recommended]
– the kent ridge common: Subcontractors in SAF
– Chee Siok Chin’s Blog: Judge Dismisses Complaint Against Police [Thanks Seelan]
– My Sketchbook: National day is round the corner
– The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist: Implications on Local Defamation and Sedition Laws?
– Anonymous_X: Malaysia tak boleh: Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a Singaporean model, to be caned for having a beer..
– My sketchbook: Case trust logo- can you trust it?
– TOC: Tighten labour laws to protect older, vulnerable workers
– Singaporean Skeptic: Is this the life you want your children to have?
– mengwong: The Problems of Linguistic Development in Singapore
– Singapore Democrats Blog: Police put up camera at Speakers’ Corner [Thanks Seelan]
Life, the universe and everything
– Ian On The Red Dot: code::XtremeApps:2009 – Kiasu Singaporeans Found!
– Aussie Pete: Asian vs Western Cultures – A Pictorial
– Singaporean Monologue: KISS lessons; inside the library
– Twinity blog: Minister of Finance of Singapore Tharman Shanmugaratnam visited the Metaversum office to learn more about how to build a startup company [Thanks Andrew]
– Ian On The Red Dot: Seriously, What’s The Point Of A Blogathon?
– under a Pipala Tree: Buddhism wins Best Religion in the World Award
– Singapore Fountain Pen: A MacRitchie Trail Adventure – The First of The North Face 100 Progressive Runs [Thanks Major Elm]
– A tiny blip in the continuum: It’s the software, stupid
– Ian On The Red Dot: 40 Years Ago – We Took One Giant Leap
– My Thoughts..: Ferguson is a Smooth Operator Indeed
– Yesterday….Today….Tomorrow: Fort Canning – 14th century walk
– My Thoughts..: Want to be High-Class, Don’t Make Silly Spelling Mistakes NUSS [Thanks Ganga]
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Real size RX-78-2 Gundam at Odaiba
– AngryAngMo: My Comment On The Official Singapore Etiquette
– A L V I N O L O G Y: ION Orchard Opening
– AngryAngMo: My Comment On The Official Singapore Etiquette
– Rambling Librarian: Chance to win NDP ’09 Preview tickets & Fun Packs
– Singapore Entrepreneurs: Code Android July 25th Meetup
– Mathia Lee: How can we talk about the taboo and the illegal
– Notes From Serangoon Road: s/pores drinks sun 26 jul 6.30pm
– Nissan Summer Charity Carwash: Register Now to WIN Tickets to Tokyo [Thanks Hui Ting]
– Supermodelme.tv: The Charmaine Harn Challenge [Thanks Andrew]