“Singapore’s research and development needs a rethink.”
“We desperately need a serious cultural reboot.”
“The original draft of my speech was composed of words like “integrity” and “breaking new boundaries” but a recent incident put a reality check on what I have to say.”
“..it is troubling when his voice becomes the historical narrative – and the study of Singapore history becomes an exercise in regime legitimization.”
“That’s another way of saying:.. ”PAK SI BEH ZHAO””
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments: Guess Ho’s baaaaack..
– Desparatebeep: A Few Cultural Observations [Recommended]
– Article 14: Goodyear leaves: A bad year for PAP to call for elections?
– Singapore Dino: Singapore High Commissioner makes a complete fool of himself
– TOC: Temasek – Murky figures and unanswered questions
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Temasek’s Confusing Losses….
– Singapore Recalcitrant: Sermon on the Mount
– Singaporean Skeptic: What can $40 Billion do?
– Temasek Review: The mystery of Temasek’s ’succession’ plan
– FT Alphaville: When is an SWF not an SWF?
– TOC: Who holds the sovereign wealth of this nation and why? [Recommended]
– My Thoughts..: What an Elaborate Way to Keep us in the Dark, Temasek [Thanks Ganga]
– Sg Pirate Game: Risky Business [Recommended]
– Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Jokes of the day
– Simply Gab: Temasek Staff to get No Bonus or Less Bonus?
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Net Bonus or Malus?
– Temasek Review: The great ‘wayang kulit’ by Ho Ching with Straits Times as supporting cast
– Jacob 69er: Temasek – Lumbered with the boss’s wife
– Singapore Dino: Ho Ching must be KICKED OUT of Temasek
– Feed Me To The Fish: It never rains in Temasek!
AWARE Aftermath: Thiology Goes to NYU
– Musings: Spin when you’re losing
– Today In Singapore: Chicken Shit! Chicken Shit!
– Singapore Law Watch: Nuance, a so-called memo and threats: Letter from Thio Li-Ann
– Ian On The Red Dot: The Amount Of Hatred Against Thio Li-Ann Is Dumb
– the kent ridge common: Under scrutiny: Thio Li Ann
– TOC: Mis-informed demonisation of LGBTs?
– The Lycan Times: Personal Capacity?
– The Bosonic State: The Paradox of Thio Li-Ann’s Anti-Gay Stand [Recommended]
– the kent ridge common: Where academic and religious views collide
– Today In Singapore: The Slippery Road To Hate
– Gay Patriot: On gay issues, academic freedom takes backseat to political correctness
– Above the Law: Let’s Talk Even More About Dr. Li-ann Thio
– Politics Daily: Li-Ann Thio and NYU Confront ‘Academic Freedom’
PSC Yes Men Quota Filled, Looking For Mavericks
– Alice Cheong in Wonderland: Give PSC the “real” you?
– A L V I N O L O G Y:Quoteworthy – PSC Chairman Eddie Teo
– My Singapore News: What the govt is looking for in a govt scholar
– The one dimensional island: Mavericks in the civil service? [Recommended]
– My sketchbook: How to select a PSC scholar
Healthcare & Healthcare Providers
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: The TRUTH about Healthcare.. [Recommended]
– The Gigamole Diaries: Singapore’s doctor bashing continues – and is a test of our medical ethics
– Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Singapore’s Medical care – Is it your “daiji” (problem) ??
– The Gigamole Diaries: Ethics, professionalism and the medical school(s)
– The Gigamole Diaries: Singapore Medical Council’s ongoing battles
– Singapore M.D.: Judging doctors 2
H1N1 Swine Flu
– Singapore and the stuff: My reply to TTSH’s reply on H1N1 issue
Twilight in Paradise. Growing Old In Singapore
– From Hri to all Thomsoners: Old Age
– Mathia Lee: Singapore’s policy responses to ageing, inequality and poverty
– Mathia Lee: Immigration doesn’t look like it solves our aging problem
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: CPF Life : Annuity without guarantee..
– Alice Cheong in Wonderland: An analysis of Singapore condo pricing turning point – Sale of Alexis
– Sgpolitics.net: Is Singapore really in a better position to survive economically?
– Mr Wang Says So: Population Demographics and the Property Market
– Temasek Review: Buyers paying prime area prices for suburban condos
– Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Speculators Reign Supreme
– Singapore Watch: How much do property agents actually make?
9 NMPs Appointed
– TOC: Why are public sector appointments shrouded in secrecy? [Recommended]
– Citizens Watch: Is There A Gay Agenda That I Should Be Worried About?
– Balderdash: On the “Gay Agenda”
– Loo Zihan: Valedictorian Speech
– Singaporean Skeptic: Mr Loo Zihan is a failure of our national education system.
ERPains, Trains & Automobiles
– Nomadism: Penalty for eating sweets on Singapore public train -MRT
– Public Transport in Singapore: Promote the use of car sharing
– Singaporean Skeptic: Translated Letter to the Berita Harian (Choose Bond-Free Scholarship)
– nofearSingapore: Private Educational Organisations- Accountability needed in the system [Thanks Dr.Huang]
– the kent ridge common: Ven. Ming Yi’s trial: Let us not be moral police
– Singapore Life and Times: Speak easy
– Subba’s Serendipitous moments: Singapore’s research institutes — suffering from split personality? [Recommended]
– Anonymous_X: Thin…so Singaporean?!
– Yahoo News: Thin is in for Singapore youth [Thanks Samantha]
– geraldgiam.sg: No barrier-free access to ION? Forget it then!
– TOC: “Even in the cyberage, some things don’t change”
– Sam’s thoughts: Harry Lee and the Half-hearted Civil Servant
– Feed Me To The Fish: 5C’s – Monks And Ministers Got Them All!
– Mathia Lee: Getting Ex-spouses to pay : Proposed Maintenance Services Authority
– The Gigamole Diaries: HSA, cell therapies and conflicts of interests..
– Sgpolitics.net: Grossly inadequate protection for credit card users
– Temasek Review: Exposing the fallacies in PM Lee’s ‘ideal’ model of governance
– Master of the Obvious: Motivations for an Agency of the Future (AoF)
– Sgpolitics.net: Why the Singapore Democratic Party deserves our support
– that burning republic: Revising History
– TOC: CCTVs in Hong Lim – Police replies to TOC’s queries
– Roxy.Z: Why is it difficult for the goverment to withdraw from business? [Thanks roxy]
– Chill Out: Selling our souls to the devils
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Chee addresses his troops… [Thanks Seelan]
– Singapore Alternatives: New Media, Political flims, Open Society & Fair Play
– Temasek Review: The dearth of public opinion in Singapore
Life, the universe and everything
– …thrills, spills & flatliners: A Sudden Void in the North
– AngryAngMo: Do Asians Really Want To Look Like Ang Mohs?
– I.Z.Reloaded: Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachan in Singapore, says it breathes efficiency and sterilized existence
– s/pores: Once Bonded
– the kent ridge common: Seelan Palay’s solo art exhibition
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: CNA: “Charity through web games”
– The Gigamole Diaries: Is organic food better for you? The answer is….
– Mr Guay’s teaching blog: An old but good video on Electricity
– Yesterday.sg: You speak the language, but do you appreciate it?
– Peter Cochrane’s Blog: Singapore’s fibre paradox
– The FØØL’s Progress: A.C.M.E : Mini-fest by otakus, for otakus!!
– Otterman speaks..: Singapore Map exhibition @ NLB, 01 Aug – 31 Oct 2009
– XinYun @ SG: Free Mattress for the Poor and Needy in Singapore
– The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist: What professional historians really do
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Age of Conan: The Second Coming
– Sam’s thoughts: What the hell is wrong with SingNet?
– No To Rape: 7 Aug 09 Seminar – Towards Criminalising Marital Rape
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Do you want to attend “The Spirit of Champions Party” by Smirnoff?