“All that smokers like me are asking for is that you respect that little disgusting pleasure we have and leave us alone..”
“CPF should simply be renamed HDBF..”
“PAP can buy my votes if they can fulfill my wish list.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
Road to Perdition Election
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: HDB should be neutral and stop playing politics
– nofearSingapore: Upgrading PP & Hougang: Righting a shameful wrong [Thanks Dr Huang]
– The Temasek Review: PAP offers to “upgrade” Potong Pasir and Hougang
– My sketchbook: The “pat ourselves on the shoulder” feel good machine
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: A power shift only when the PAP becomes incompetent and corrupt?
– Today In Singapore: Lessons From Japan
– The Temasek Review: It’s dinner time and a rare show of opposition “fraternizing”
– TOC: Pre-General Election campaigning
– Trapper’s Swamp: HDB, Town Councils are partisan bodies
– The Singapore Enquirer: MPs should front initiative
– Singaporean Skeptic: Elena Chong: Straits Times Journalist or ‘Judge’?
– Sex sells, so does Politics: 10 reasons why we had no problem integrating with the Malaysians [Thanks Ernies]
– ErniesUrn’s Xanga: My General Elections Wish List [Thanks Ernies]
– The Temasek Review: PAP’s Eric Low rapped for stealing limelight of Hougang MP Low Thia Kiang
– Ravi Philemon: Revisit the Policy and Practice
– The Temasek Review: Mah Bow Tan: “I don’t expect non-PAP MPs to explain LUP”
– Majulah!: Its just all wayang..
Strangers in a Strange Land
– The Temasek Review: Sunday Times removed article on Singapore PR Zhang Yuanyuan taking part in China National Day parade
– The Temasek Review: PM Lee: NS for children of PRs will scare them off
– Frankly Speaking: Foreign worker levy is a fine
– TOC: Chinese worker issued with receipt containing vulgarities
– The Kent Ridge Common: Analyzing vulgarities on a piece of receipt
– The Temasek Review: State media uses flawed study to create false impression that foreigners are welcomed in Singapore
– Feed Me To The Fish: Truth or Contortion
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: We have a Singapore PR in the China Female Marching Contingent
– The Temasek Review: Is there room for more foreigners in Singapore?
– The Temasek Review: PAP MPs jumped to the defence of Singapore “quitter PR” Zhang Yuanyuan
– Trapper’s Swamp: Not the most articulate leader
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Don’t hate foreigners!
– My Thoughts..: Straits Times and its Stupid Polls [Thanks Ganga]
– Today In Singapore: This Is Getting Ugly
– Trapper’s Swamp: Mr Mah, is that all you’ve got?
– The Temasek Review: Mah Bow Tan on complaints from buyers they cannot get a flat: “It is ridiculous!”
– Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Dear Prime Minister, is it ok if we have a new Minister for National Development cos this one sucks?
– TOC: HDB : “Getting a flat” statistics that hardly anybody believes?
– The Temasek Review: An analysis of prices of completed HDB flats
– The Temasek Review: Mah Bow Tan: Make meaningful comparisons
– Singapore Dino: Out of touch with reality: 26 articles on Ris Low but just 9 on HDB prices
– TOC: “Prestigious” homes – but at what cost?
Lee vs Chee
– Yawning Bread: Judge Acquits SDP Four Over Walking Case
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Judge acquits SDP leaders
– The Temasek Review: Landmark verdict: SDP five acquitted on charges of taking part in a procession without a valid permit
– Singapore Dino: Singapore Judge breaks norm and acquits SDP members
– Singabloodypore: Singapore: Judge acquits SDP leaders
– Sgpolitics.net: Judge Ng’s acquittal of democracy activists
– Yawning Bread: More thoughts on the ‘Not a procession’ judgement [Recommended]
– Today In Singapore: Procession Redefined
– The Temasek Review: Smearing of SDP (again) by ST journalist Kor Kian Beng
– Sex sells, so does Politics: It’s the branding, Chee!
– Gimme Some Truth!: In Singapore Two’s a Company, Three’s a Crowd, but Five is NOT a Procession
– The Secret Political Blog: SDP Five’s acquittal – Nothing to celebrate except an upright judge
– The Temasek Review: Singaporeans charged for “walking”: A case of taxpayers’ monies well spent?
Truth, Justice, and the Singapore Way
– Today in Singapore: Domineering Justice
– Jacob 69er: Two separate reports on Singapore Judiciary’s “independence” [Thanks Mike]
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore household net wealth
– Temasek Hedge: Why the removal of Jobs Credit may also mean the removal of your job [Thanks Bink]
– The Temasek Review: Jalan Besar Town Council blames unemployed resident for S&C arrears again and again
– TOC: KPIs should motivate Town Councils to serve better
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Singapore: Time to Remove Race Tinted Glasses
– The Kent Ridge Common: The plight of a Singapore student
– The Kent Ridge Common: Realizing the fruits of reforms within our educational systemi go sleep
– Trapper’s Swamp: MOE throws sex education ball back to schools
– Irreligious: Einstein, the universe and God (part two)
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: The Temasek Charter 2009 – a Post Mortem
EPL 1 : Football Fans 0
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: EPL Rights : Bad Competition! [Recommended]
– Singapore Life and Times: EPL ransom
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Free market and EPL Football
– Today In Singapore: The Price Of Monopoly
– My sketchbook: EPL telecast right saga-MDA may intervene
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Enough With the Complaining Already
– the(new)mediaslut: Rumour: Did Starhub lose ESPN-Star Sports because of Dubai’s Ten Sport deal?
– Yawning Bread: Education ministry looks like it has something to hide
– Trapper’s Swamp: Activism spooks MOE
– The Temasek Review: Patriotism in Hong Kong and Singapore: A world of contrast
– utopia8787: no nationalism in Sg
– Singapore Dino: 61 year old American cartoon mirrors Singapore’s situation
– Trapper’s Swamp: Leave us smokers alone
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Has Singapore Lost the Race to Hong Kong?
– The boy who knew too much: Shopping, national superiority and organic growth.
– The Asia File: Hossan Leong: Singapore’s latter-day court jester [Thanks Ben]
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Increasing Effectiveness Of State Help Systems
– The Temasek Review: Singapore: Sources for Future Competitiveness
– Balderdash: My oppression by the heavy arm of the State
– According2ed: Confucian societies : Does Confucian/Legalist Culture Promote Bigotry? [Thanks lary]
– Temasek Hedge: Singapore IPOs turn out to be cows during great bull run [Thanks Bink]
Life, the universe and everything
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore’s growing community where men outnumber women
– The Asia File: Singapore’s hidden heartland – a story you can’t read in the Lion City [Thanks Ben]
– Ian On The Red Dot: M1’s ‘Terrible’ Customer Retention Scheme
– Temasek Hedge: Capitaland looking to palm off retail assets to next greater fool [Thanks Bink]
– nofearSingapore: Dollah Kassim and other heroes from my childhood. [Thanks Dr Huang]
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Chee Soon Juan [Thanks Seelan]
– LIANAIN FILMS: Scenes From Our Shoot In North Korea
– Ong Jiin Joo: Reflections on part-time playing music
– LIANAIN FILMS: Happy World Habitat Day – Let’s Visit A Hovel In District 9
– The Kent Ridge Common: Upfront with movie director Glen Goei on his latest movie The Blue Mansion
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: What’s wrong with Investment Linked Policies?
– LIANAIN FILMS: By Popular Demand – More From Our Shoot In North Korea
– The-Upperroom.com: 我是潮州人
– Yesterday.sg: Preserving the past – Singapore and its Monuments
– Blowin’ In The Wind: World university rankings website booboo
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Shell one litre fuel economy challenge
– CNNGo: World’s Greatest City: 50 reasons why Singapore is No. 1
– Singapore Entrepreneurs: Events For The Week – 3-10th Oct
– Rambling Librarian: Open call for participants for a Gaming preview session at Jurong Regional Library, Saturday 24 Oct.
– Moving Higher In Souped-up Heuristically Agon Moment: NHB Launches A Facebook Group & Page Dedicated to All its Museums
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: Human Rights Workshop at NUS on 31/10/2009 — “whose Right is it anyway?”