“These are ordinary folks making an honest living.”
“This is the manifestation of the government’s attitude towards elected opposition Members of Parliament..”
Low Thia Khiang
“Ask him [Mah Bow Tan] to buy and stay in these flats!”
“You cannot use two rulebooks for two groups of people living in the same country, and not expect to have problems.”
“..a journalism professor told me: “If you want to do journalism, don’t do it in Singapore.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
Strangers in a Strange Land
– The Temasek Review: Why Singaporeans are angry over the Zhang Yuanyuan fiasco
– kay poh chee: FT preferred. Only in Singapore!
– The Secret Political Blog: How importing low wage labour funds the Burmese junta
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Singaporeans not welcomed
– Military Life: Memories of fresh green jungle and cb leaves [Thanks Panzer]
– Frankly Speaking: While Singapore government procrastinates, Singapore runs the risk of serious tensions [Recommended]
– The Temasek Review: China National castigates Singapore netizens for being “naive” and “insecure” over the Zhang Yuanyuan fiasco
– Singapore Dino: China woman took up Singapore PR for ‘easier travel’
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: Ease of PR Application = Increased Competition for Singaporeans
– Today In Singapore: Three Regret Stories
– The Temasek Review: Reversal of fortune? Singaporeans heading to China
– flaneurose: The solution … is the problem
– Frankly Speaking: Remember this ex-PR?
– Today in Singapore: China National Fights Back
– The Temasek Review: Public housing affordability: HDB versus Singaporeans [Recommended]
– Chee Wai’s Random Musing: Mah Bow Tan needs to be slapped..
– Singapore Life and Times: Heavenly house
– Me and my thoughts: All I Want is a Home
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Define Choosy
– The Temasek Review: A reply to Mah Bow Tan’s assertation that buyers did not get first flats because they have rejected them
– The Temasek Review: Prices of resale flats may increase by another 10 per cent
– URBANRANT: Ways to improve the transparency of housing agents in Singapore
Road to Perdition Election
– The Temasek Review: Singapore: Drawing Districts to Ensure Super-Majorities in the Parliament [Recommended]
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: How PAP uses taxpayer-funded grassroots for political gain [Recommended]
– TOC: That baffling reply – and the opposition’s silence
– Jacob 69er: HDB as a political weapon
– TOC: Reform Party visits Jurong West
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: Mah to Low: Stay within your sandbox
– The Temasek Review: Mah Bow Tan: LUP has to be implemented through government (PAP) channels
– Singapore Dino: PAP Minister and MP can’t be bothered with Singaporeans
– URBANRANT: Who should HDB work with for Lift Upgrading Program
– The Kent Ridge Common: Oppose by being a PAP internal ‘opposition’ or joining the opposition parties?
– The Temasek Review: A rebuttal to MND: Why Mah Bow Tan is wrong on upgrading
– TOC: WP’s Sylvia Lim rebuts ministry’s reply on lift upgrading
– catherinelim.sg: The Impact of the Catherine Lim Case
– The Temasek Review: Avoiding and delaying “real change”
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore polls used to be in September or December under Lee Kuan Yew
Mainstream vs X-Stream Media
– The Temasek Review: MDA wants bloggers to declare their income
– the(new)mediaslut: MDA wants bloggers to declare sponsorship? How about making circulation audits compulsory first?
– Yawning Bread: Third-rate television for a Third-world country [Recommended]
– The Enquirer: It wasn’t just Chee Soon Juan
– TOC: Foolish talk of regulating the Internet (again)
– Brotherhood Press: Is MDA asking bloggers to declare their income? An interview with Missy Dotty
– TOC: “If you want to do journalism, don’t do it in Singapore.”
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
– TOC: Re-evaluating the Singapore story [Thanks lary]
– The Temasek Review: A reply to: “Singapore cheaper than Stockholm”
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Lim Swee Say : Cheaper, Better, Faster (CBF)..
– Mail Online: Revealed: The ghost fleet of the recession anchored just east of Singapore [Thanks DK]
– Alamak: Jobs Credit and PRs
– Sgpolitics.net: Jobs Credit Scheme — raising the alarm
– The Pattern Trader: Double Dip, Recovery or Utter Madness?
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments
– The Temasek Review: GIC faces US$575 Million Losses On Manhattan Apartment Complex
Healthcare & Healthcare Providers
– Singapore M.D.: Discussion
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Pitfalls of Private Medical Insurance..
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Singapore’s Doctors As Big Brother: Electronic Health Records
– Singapore M.D.: Discussion 2
– Singaporean Skeptic: We should call modern medicine ‘modern’ and not ‘western’.
– The boy who knew too much: Big Brother and Singaporean “Medicine”
– The Kent Ridge Common: Discouraging suspension from school as a form of punishment
The Gospel of Harry: Harry Lee and the Men in White
– Singapore Recalcitrant: An Unconscionable Injustice [Recommended]
– Today In Singapore: Old Codgers Slug It Out
– The Temasek Review: Intellectual dishonesty: SPH did not reveal source of 1986 report in the Yoong Siew Wah fiasco
Lee vs Chee
– Jaslyn Go’s Blog: TBT Trial – My Cross Examination with DSP William Goh (formerly ASP William Goh) on 24 Sept 2009
Goodbye EPL. Hello saturday nights
– Today In Singapore: Clash Of Corporate Cultures
A little Hilton in Pasir Ris
– The Kent Ridge Common: Ris Low – who are we hating?
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: Ris Low, Society’s Attitude towards her
– The Journey of a Decade: You think your English is the good ah? And life after for Ris Low [Thanks Benjamin]
– The Kent Ridge Common: Employee Promotion in the Civil Sector
– The Gigamole Diaries: The wet market in Singapore – personal reflections
– Singaporean Skeptic: Is Singapore Exchange (SGX) playing with the Dark Side?
– according2ed: Rated-i Awards [Thanks John]
– The Gigamole Diaries: Singaporeans and the “moving goalposts”
– The Temasek Review: Why “No.1” Singapore fails to get No.1 in highest global human achievements
– Yawning Bread: Another teenager caught, set to hang
– Times They Are A-Changin’: Super Grassroots!
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Singapore’s Underworld – Turning Sharks into Nemos
– Tattooed Banker: When was the last time you visited a wet market?
– Mathia Lee: Criminalising teen girls for initiating sex?
– Mathia Lee: Singapore’s Age limits
– Only “objective” and “factual” political films please, we’re Singaporeans: Zahari’s 17 Years remains banned : MICA
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: New Information Minister disappoints
– TOC: The disappearing wet market
– The Gigamole Diaries: Wet markets – leave it to market forces??
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: Young PAP member guises human rights as western imperialism and praises Chinese communist premier
– Die neue Welle: 6: To The Devotees of “Asian Values”
– The Temasek Review: Singapore: Will the real academics please stand up?
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Corporatization of wet markets..
– groundnotes: I need my abibas
– mengwong: on the MOM’s recent policy change re EntrePass [Thanks Bernard]
Life, the universe and everything
– flaneurose: Picking Winners
– Diva: Is Sun a Gaga wannabe?
– Kong Hee: Wholesome Shallowness?
– Snurblog: Bloggers and the Networked Public Sphere in Singapore
– The Useless Tree: Confucianism as Soft Power
– Chee Siok Chin’s Blog: Hitting the streets with The New Democrat [Thanks Seelan]
– The Ding An Direction: U don’t know Dollah Kassim
– worlds upon words: Pet profiteers and misrepresentation on adverts
– according2ed: Confucianism as ‘Soft Nazism..’, ed responds [Thanks John]
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Is it safe to use handphone at a petrol station?
– ALVINOLOGY: Sunshine Empire brainwash session caught on video: 无限英雄分享会
– Temasek Hedge: Why we are all slaves to DBS, UOB and OCBC: A guide to banking 101
– The Bosonic State: The Right to be Right
– My Food Sirens II: You mean bloggers can’t speak their minds? [via DK]
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: When will companies ever learn?
– World Through Spider’s Eyes: Human Greed & The People Exploiting It [Thanks Kenneth]
– The Kent Ridge Common: Of Asian values and patriachism: A review of The Blue Mansion by Glen Goei
– Cooler Insights: The Purrfect World of Hello Kitty
– The Asia File: New Asian citizen journalism website set to launch [Thanks Ben]