..this area [the political domain], far from keeping up with the other domains of industry, trade, business, education, the arts, etc. has shrivelled into a backwater..”
“Diversity in Singapore, in this case, obviously excludes the girl with poor spoken English.”
“Ours is a fascism that works.”
“Calling people to stand up and fight for your future is impressive. BUT as long as reality and education says that you will never make a rat’s ass in terms of difference, it just remains flowery rhetoric. Or “highfalutin”, as some octogenarian would tell you.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
Mainstream vs X-Stream Media | Truth, Justice, and the Singapore Way
– journalism.sg: Why RSF’s Press Freedom Index is flawed – and why it works
– The Temasek Review: Shanmugam peeved at Singapore media’s pathetic rankings on the World Press Freedom Index
– Readings From A Political Duo-ble: Comments on Singapore’s press rankings
– Today In Singapore: Rule Of Law, Or By Law?
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: Law Minister says criticisms of Singapore are “Divorced from reality” [Thanks Seelan]
– My Thoughts..: ST’s Typos Get Grander [Thanks Ganga]
– The Temasek Review: Singapore Chief Justice: No basis for allegations that Singapore’s judiciary lacks independence
– The Temasek Review: Singapore ranked 86th out of 104 countries in “democratic institutions”
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Shanmugam : Low ranking for press freedom here absurd!
– The Temasek Review: Correcting Minister Shanmugam’s misperception that Singapore is a “stable democracy”
– Singapore Dino: From credible to absurd: PAP views on press freedom ranking
– The Temasek Review: Shanmugam: Press can criticize (but will they dare to?)
– TOC: Law Minister defeats “Reporters without Borders’” straw man
– Sex sells, so does Politics: Press Freedom Index is pure rubbish
– Mr Wang Says So: Trembling in the Tropics
Road to Perdition Election
– The Kent Ridge Common: The candidate that does substantial damages at the polls
– Die neue Welle: I am Singaporean Vol. 3, I – On Apathy
– TOC: A peek into PAP politics – present and future
– The Kent Ridge Common: Current election dates a deterrent to youth participation
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: NUS PSSoc: Partisan or Not?
– The Temasek Review: MND continues to throw smoke bombs over role of PAP “grassroots advisers”
– Times They Are A-Changin’: Let’s Not Politicise LUP Anymore!
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Singapore’s Opposition Parties – Time for Some Backward Integration?
– The Temasek Review: Town Council Act (CAP 329A) States Clearly That Govt Must Work With Town Councils (Run By MPs) To Implement LUP
– Singapore Dino: PAP probably thought no S’porean would bother to check
The Gospel of Harry
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: Chinese leaders afraid of losing control: LKY
– The Kent Ridge Common: Questions you would have liked to ask MM Lee at the Kent Ridge Ministerial forum
– The Temasek Review: Lee Kuan Yew: The Singapore Strongman
– Singapore Democrats Blog: Spoken like an emperor (with no clothes): Part 2 [Thanks Seelan]
– Asian in America: Lee Kuan Yew on Singapore, Asia and America’s place in the world
– The Campus Observer: Students disappointed with Ministerial Forum
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: Balancing an emerging dragon
– Today In Singapore: Fair Weather Friends
– POLITICO 44: POTUS, Lee Kuan Yew sit down [Thanks Gerald]
Strangers in a Strange Land
– The Secret Political Blog: A colonial hangover, or very flawed reasoning?
– My Little Corner: Singaporean vs PR
– Today In Singapore: Seeing Is Believing
– The Temasek Review: PAP MP Ho Geok Choo Against “quota System” To Ensure Even Distribution Of PRs
– Tales Over Coffee: Talking Politics With A Cab Driver
– The boy who knew too much: The secret Singaporean teleportation device.
– The Temasek Review: Thoughts On PRs Usurping Jobs Meant For Singaporeans
– The Secret Political Blog: 2010: Pay hikes are going to be a pittance
– The Temasek Review: Irish Luck had ran out – But are we on the same route to disaster?
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore output falls, bucks advance estimates
– Temasek Hedge: Singapore’s “jobless recovery” turning into “jobloss recovery” [Thanks Bink]
– The Temasek Review: Paradox of Singapore Economic Growth: Economy has grown fast, labour income share remains dismally low
– Temasek Hedge: Top called: is the global sucker rally about to end?
– Asia Pacific Voices: Will Asian Assets Really Outperform Globally?
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
– Singapore Peak Oil: Wanted: Biophysical Economists in the Singapore Government
Twilight in Paradise. Growing Old In Singapore
– Singaporean Skeptic: Life at 50 is painful (if you live in Singapore).
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments
– Temasek Hedge: Temasek and GIC Longfor some action in China property bubble
– The Temasek Review: Gan Kim Yong says “No” to restoring CPF for older workers
Healthcare & Healthcare Providers
– The Gigamole Diaries: What??? No regulation for stem cell products also? !!!
– Mathia Lee: Is it more ethical to lie or tell the truth?
– Singapore Life and Times: Cheap cheap
– Life’s simple things..: Where do we draw the line? [via Singapore M.D.]
– The Temasek Review: PSLE furore: who is to blame?
– The Secret Political Blog: PSLE too tough? We can’t all be geniuses, but we need to beat Hong Kong in TIMSS [Thanks Chuan Yi]
– Yawning Bread: Tough tests serve a positive purpose
Little Green Dot
– Singaporean Skeptic: Environmentally Unfriendly Singapore?
ASEAN ICHR | APEC 2009
– TOC: Civil Society, QUANGOs and ASEAN
– The Temasek Review: Singapore causes stir by selection of “substitutes from government-sponsored agencies” to the Informal Dialogue with ASEAN Leaders
– NYTimes: Asean Inaugurates Human Rights Commission [Thanks Gerald]
– Yawning Bread: Throwing fish
– TOC: Human Rights in ASEAN: An Economic Perspective
– TOC: Fascism that works [Recommended]
– The Temasek Review: Singapore’s missing pillars of democracy (Part 1)
– Zach’s Thought Blot: The Domino Effect
– Sam’s thoughts: The mob has spoken: Ris is over, who’s next? [Recommended]
– Rojo Cancer: Free To Exploit
– Singaporean Skeptic: The myth of your mandarin heritage.
– Rachel Zeng’s blog: Rachel Zeng’s blog
– Singabloodypore: Let’s Talk with Alex Au
– The Kent Ridge Common: Upfront with Dr. Catherine Lim
– The Temasek Review: Singapore’s missing pillars of democracy (Part 2): What are we actually missing?
– Sam’s thoughts: Gay rights in Singapore and the double-edged sword of science
– Rachel Zeng’s blog: World Day Against The Death Penalty (Singapore) – Videos [Thanks Seelan]
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Wet Markets must stay
– Temasek Hedge: Irony: The cost of Shell’s ‘$1 promo’ to Singapore taxpayers [Thanks Bink]
– TOC: Is Singapore = PAP?
– The Temasek Review: Singapore’s missing pillars of democracy (Part 3): Building the most important pillar right now
– The boy who knew too much: The urgings of Singaporeans.
– TOC: World Day against Death Penalty
– according2ed: In retrospect : on the Fascist state of Singapore & how it taught me to fear the BNP [Thanks Tracy]
– TOC: The Myth of Asian-style Democracy
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Singapore: Progress, History and the Wet Market Controversy
– according2ed: Case study: How de-racialisation can deliver a fascist racialisation of politics [Thanks John]
Life, the universe and everything
– The Bosonic State: 350? Too Audacious a Target?
– Loh and Behold: Body Worlds Exhibition? No thanks!
– The fire in my life: Queue for Shell.. [Thanks Joel]
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Flash Mob at Raffles Place
– flaneurose: A Surfeit of Shopping Malls
– theory.isthereason: theorycast 59 & 60 :: Michelle Thorne’s walkabout with Creative Commons Singapore
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: HTC Flash Mob at Orchard Road
– Senang Diri: Blue on Blue: Part 6 – A Father’s Pain [Thanks Mike]
– utopia8787: ypap facebook war
– LIANAIN FILMS: Because There Will Always Be Hope
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: A short documentary film about food and poverty — “Chicken a la Carte”
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: One Nation Under Lee website updated!
– Letters to Bobo: Letter 2 [Thanks Gwee]
– Maruah Singapore: eFlyer – Youth Human Rights Workshop 31Oct Final1
– Deep thoughts of a Singapore Critic: FLY BY NIGHT Challenge is here again!!
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Borders 30% off
– TOC: VJ – Myanmar through the lens