Weekly Roundup: Week 46
"According to Goh Chok Tong Singapore needs a new identity to ‘stay ahead’. We must project a new identity – “one that captivates the eyes, moves the heart, stirs the soul and inspires the mind”. In other words, lie."
"..ownership of a refrigerator made in Malaysia outlasts ownership of a condo unit built on Singapore island."
"..when we’re kept in line it’s largely for our own safety."
someone from inside the media industry
"I find [Singapore] well laid out, very orderly with a kind of antiseptic atmosphere."
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
– Singapore Angle: US Size Matters and the ASEAN Way
– Zach’s Thought Blot: The Urgent Case for ASEAN Integration – Part Two
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore’s stratospheric per capita trade
– My sketchbook: Enthuastic Singapore plays host to APEC
– Asia Pacific Voices: Waiting for Obama
– Asia Pacific Voices: APEC 5 Green Steps: Facilitating Green Business in the Asia-Pacific Region
– Singabloodypore: Singapore: Obama Should Address Human Rights Abuses
– Asian in America: ASEAN risks international irrelevance
– Jacob 69er: Singapore bent on protest-free APEC summit
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: Self Praising from APEC Organising Commitee
– AngryAngMo: Everything You Should Know About President Obama’s Visit To Singapore
– Let’s Go To Speakers’ Corner: Speakers’ Corner Protest To Appeal President Obama [Thanks Anthony]
– Today In Singapore: Working Hard For The Money
– Civic Advocator: Starbucks gets a star guest at APEC, Hillary Clinton
– The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist: Panda Diplomacy and Chinese/Taiwanese Soft Power to Singapore
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Apec seen through the eyes of China
– The Temasek Review: Amnesty International writes to Canadian Prime Minister condemning Singapore for its human rights violations
– Rachel Zeng’s blog: Justifying the Public Order Act through fear mongering
– UncleYap: Banner Demonstration During APEC 2009 [Thanks uncle]
– Reuters: Obama has busy itinerary on whirlwind Asian tour [Thanks gerald]
Chiam To Leave Potong Pasir
– The Temasek Review: Chiam See Tong leaving Potong Pasir- Why, Where and Who
– ST Forum: Don’t take Potong Pasir for granted, SPP
– The Temasek Review: Chiam See Tong rapped for taking Potong Pasir residents “for granted”
– Kelvin Teo Writes: The interesting topic of alliance between political parties
– Sam’s Alfresco Coffee: Chiam See Tong taking PP for granted? [Thanks Raja]
– MyCarForum: Chiam See Tong to Contest Other Wards! [Thanks Raja]
Mainstream vs X-Stream Media
– i-speak: A Message from a Media Insider [Recommended]
– My Thoughts: Why Changing Headlines is Bad
– Yours Truly Singapore: Press can criticise, but Govt expects right of reply
– The Temasek Review: Temasek Review writes to SPH CEO Alan Chan to seek further clarifications
– The Temasek Review: PAP’s new media blues (Part 1): Using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito
– The Temasek Review: PAP’s new media blues (Part 2): Why the Malaysian political tsunami will not hit Singapore’s shores in its next general election
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Applied for your Singapore blogging license yet?
– flaneurose: The increasing irrelevance of mainstream media in Singapore
– TOC: Big brother is watching New Media
Truth, Justice, and the Singapore Way
– Feed Me To The Fish: "Exceptionalism" is to Ignore, Rebut or Engage?
– Urbanrant: Is the penalty too light for such a crime?
– Yours Truly Singapore: Shanmugam: Our approach to the law has worked
– Yawning Bread: Sucking demigods’ toes
– Balderdash: My favourite part of the Penal Code
– The Temasek Review: Disputing Mr Shanmugam’s claims that Singapore’s approach to the law has worked
– The Gov Monitor: Singapore Responds To Speculation Regarding Repression Of Political Freedom [Thanks Albino]
Road to Perdition Election
– TOC: Youth in Politics – Young Democrat Jarrod Luo
– I’m getting personal: Is academic and employment profile that important?
– utopia8787: the saddest developed country
– The Temasek Review: Media content analysis: Signs that elections are coming
– The Itch To Write: Gen Y and Political Renewal
– Kelvin Teo Writes: Selecting future leaders for our civil service
– Singapore Manisfesto: Anonymous Singaporean Thought #2 [Thanks M]
– TOC: Rubbish? Look who’s talking
– Feed Me To The Fish: That’s Such An Insolent Remark
– Kelvin Teo Writes: Cognitive dissonance at the voting booth
– The Temasek Review: Depoliticizing the upgrading issue
– Unbranded Bread n Butter: Chee Soon Juan on Muttons to Midnight, 98.7FM [Thanks Roti]
Strangers in a Strange Land
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: New immigrants help sustain, enrich S’porean way of life, says SM Goh
– Today In Singapore: Who Will Bear Responsibility?
– Under the Willow Tree: Foreign Residents Should Just Shut Up [Recommended]
– Lianain Films: Before… And… After
– Anonymous_X: Are you convinced by SM Goh’s speech "New immigrants help sustain and enrich Singaporean way of life" and why?
– Hard Hitting in the Lion City: Change Your Argument
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Is the Little Red Dot a Special Administrative Region within Greater China?
– The Temasek Review: Debunking SM Goh’s claims that Singapore will go the way of the dinosaurs without PRs and new citizens
– The Temasek Review: The Foreign Talent debate: A Foreign Talent’s perspective
– The Temasek Review: Open letter to Prime Minister Lee expressing unhappiness at his pro-foreigner policy (Part 1)
– Musings From the Lion City: The Reason Why
– Singapore Manifesto: Anonymous Singaporean Thought #3 [Thanks M]
– En Bloc Block Blog: A country, a city, a garden or a hotel? [Recommended]
– My Singapore News: Housing for the people -losing bearing, losing sight
– TOC: One landlord’s woes
– TOC: Property bubble : More government intervention or less?
– The Rot Within: Affordable Resort-Style Housing
– Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Our PRs are helluva rich bunch
– Singapore Watch: No, you cannot take up a fresh mortgage for your paid-up HDB
The Gospel of Harry
– Gerald Giam’s Blog: Singapore’s national interests vis-a-vis China
– Kelvin Teo Writes: Perceived to be living in his father’s shadow?
– Temasek Hedge: Why MM’s comment on US-China ‘balancing act’ needs to taken in right context [Thanks Bink]
– Singapore Dino: Are you sick and tired of Lee Kuan Yew hogging the headlines?
– Today In Singapore: The Truth In Comics
Singaporeans are fed up with progress
– flaneurose: Singapore Inc. [Recommended]
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Man killed his children..
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Snippets from Capitalism A Love Story..
Recession over. A jobless recovery
– The Journey of a Decade: O, Cheaper Better Faster video… yes cheap video [Thanks Benjamin]
– Urbanrant: Status quo gives us 3% growth. The need for new thinking.
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments
– Temasek Hedge: Stuyvesant Town gets TKO-ed: GIC’s US$575 million goes down for the count [Thanks Bink]
Twilight in Paradise. Growing Old In Singapore
– Insane Polygons: No Country For Old People Part1.
– Insane Polygons: No Country For Old People Part 2.
– Sgpolitics.net: Are Singaporeans clueless about retirement, and if so, why?
– Sam’s thoughts: The Central in CPF: How about C for Choice?
– Musings: Scholar Bias in Public Service
– Singaporean Skeptic: More on Lee’s failed language policy.
– Master of the Obvious: Once Bonded, Reloaded
– TOC: Goh Chok Tong: The Pioneer Bond-Breaker?
– Singaporean Skeptic:Generous Singapore Scholarships for University Students! Too good to be true? There is a catch
– Singapore Alternatives: The effectiveness of NSmen system
– Gimme Some Truth: Welcome to Singapore, The “Activist” State
– I’m getting personal: Our national identity
– The boy who knew too much: The problem of genius in Singapore.
– Sam’s thoughts: ST Insight: Censorship Review Committee thoughts
– Singaporean Skeptic: Sino-Singapore relationship. The view from the PAP.
– groundnotes: The Distinctive City [Recommended]
– Frankly Speaking: Counting the costs of male citizenship
– Yawning Bread: Film censorship correspondence, part 2
– Singaporean Skeptic: My views on the issue of Gambling
– The boy who knew too much: The roots of kindness.
– Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Taxi drivers – crystal balls for your future as a Singaporean?
– The Temple Of Thoughts 3: Singapore, A Place where people say "har?" and "huh?"
– Today In Singapore: On Worth Of Humanity
– Singabloodypore: URGENT — Yong Vui Kong’s appeal
– TOC: Life on the fringe
– Anonymous_X: Wellness Village Spa & Fitness is a limited liability partnership…so what?! [Thanks wacky_artz]
Life, the universe and everything
– Kelvin Teo Writes: Kelvin Teo talks to satirist Mr Brown AKA Lee Kin Mun [Thanks Kelvin]
– Ong Jiin Joo: SingTel MyBill
– ALVINOLOGY: Pastor Kong Hee on “Cheap Grace Preachers”
– TOC: Talking Point(s) with NMP Viswa Sadasivan [Thanks lary]
– Nomadism: The most (shameless) embarrasing ex-Ms Singapore world…
– Times of My Life: From Railway Track To The Centrepoint (Part 1 of 2)
– Singapore Fountain Pen: Singapore 360 – Day 20: Christmas At Vivo City [Thanks Major Elm]
– Tales Over Coffee: 2009 Christmas Decorations Along Orchard Road, Singapore
– TOC: Two words which make a difference
– Senang Diri: Blue on Blue: Part 8(a) Private Affairs
– Empty Vessel: Chapter 3: It’s not easy being a critic
– Ian On The Red Dot: Art @ Ion Orchard
– The Restaurant: New $100 Singapore Banknotes
– ALVINOLOGY: S.H.E. UKimono Press Conference @ ION Orchard
– A long and arduous road of an entrepreneur: Questions From Readers #1
– TOC: Anime Festival Asia comes to Singapore
– Tales Over Coffee: Orchard Central Looks A Lot Better Than I Remember
– Singapore Fountain Pen: Singapore 360 – Day 21: The Mother, The Child And The Snake At Sentosa [Thanks Major Elm]
– My Very Own Glob: What sporting event around the Padang that’s better than F1?