“Why is the burden of competition put on ordinary Singaporeans yet again?”
“The problem is that the ministers are asking workers to bite the bullet first.”
“We can no longer keep on churning out economic digits fit [only] for an industrialized society.”
Wong Wee Nam
“I can already imagine how someone will quote this one freaking incident and use it to justify that Singapore new media cannot be trusted.”
“Productivity is only an economic indicator. By improving productivity, what do we seek to achieve?”
“We have become addicted to government subsidies.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
– TOC: Budget debate statistics: Uniquely Singapore? [Recommended]
– The Temasek Review: A disaster in the making: PAP’s “instant tree” mentality [Recommended]
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: The TRUTH about Productivity..
– Ian On The Red Dot: Productivity & Wages – Which Is The Cause & The Effect
– Sgpolitics.net: Productivity: Senior Minister, is it that simple?
– Gerald Giam: Low Thia Khiang: It should not be all about economic benefit
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Productivity and related issues
– Trapper’s Swamp: Low Thia Kiang vs Josephine Teo
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Growth For All
– Military Life: The SAF is Productive Because there are no foreigners in the SAF [Thanks Panzer]
– Musings From the Lion City: Why It Will Stay Just Talk
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Foreign Worker ERP
– Singapore Dino: Has PM Lee gone into hiding?
– Singapore Recalcitrant: The Somnelent Deputy Prime Minister
– Singapore Alternatives: Budget Debate 2010 – Myths of HDB and 460K for poor over 60 years?
– The Temasek Review: 10 most unforgettable quotes from PAP MPs during the recent parliamentary “debate”
– Brad’s Blog: Productivity! Productivity! Productivity!
– Feed Me To The Fish: Daft & Dafter
– Yours Truly Singapore: Economic growth benefits all citizens
– Insane Polygons: Motivational Posters for the Elite 7
– New Asia Republic: The question of productivity [Recommended]
– New Asia Republic: How GST adds value [Recommended]
– Singapore Dino: PAP MP asks Khaw Boon Wan for “secret to looking young” during Parliament debate
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Who voted this Ong Ah Heng into Parliament?
– The Temasek Review: Appropriateness and integrity in the use of government statistics
– Times They Are A-Changin': Large foreign workforce a buffer?
– Gerald Giam: Sylvia Lim: R&D spending needs to be accounted for
– Gerald Giam: Low Thia Khiang: Access to good mentors key to helping entrepreneurs succeed
– Trapper’s Swamp: There’s a time and place for everything
– Gerald Giam: Sylvia Lim: Increase size of cohort entering local universities
– Gerald Giam: Low Thia Khiang urges Govt to “seriously look” into housing options for homeless
– Bernard Aw’s Blog: PRs just moved to a lower indifference curve
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: Mr Mah, you are more than 4 years late!
– TOC: Malay homelessness – who was the quicker finger-pointer?
– Singapore Life and Times: Slow and steady
– Hear Ye! Hear Ye!: Random thoughts on public housing
– My Little Corner: Summary of HDB changes for Budget 2010
– Trapper’s Swamp: Wrong answers from the wrong questions 
– Yawning Bread: Breeding a subsidy mentality in housing [Recommended]
– Chee Wai’s Random Musing: Our dear MBT does not understand the idea behind market forces?
– Lianain Films: Homelessness Is Not A Dirty Word
– Yours Truly Singapore: Mah’s story is also Singapore’s story
– TOC: HDB: Homelessness due to policies? BTS better than BTO? 31,000 flats unsold, but nobody knows?
– Trapper’s Swamp: Homelessness is a policy issue
Harry Lee and the Dissident of Singaland
– Sam’s Thoughts: Gopalan Nair: Lee Kuan Yew suffers massive heart attack (a hoax)
– Icarus Flew Too High: The Gopalan Coup [Recommended]
– TOC: Gopalan Nair’s despicable hoax
– The Kent Ridge Common: The Real Rabbit out of Gopalan’s Hat
– Sgpolitics: Sgpolitics.net condemns Gopalan Nair’s actions in the strongest possible terms
– The Sun Shines on Singapore: Out Goes Gopolan’s Credibility (Not a Hoax)
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: A step backward for free speech
– under a Pipala Tree: Bullshit Post
– I’m getting personal: Gopalan Nair deserves a smack on his head!!!!
– ambiguity: Gopalan Nair: Why So Serious?
– Because you’ve got all eyes on you no matter where you are: Gopalan Nair’s dirty little trick
– journalism.sg: Online hoax about Lee Kuan Yew’s health receives wide condemnation
Strangers in a Strange Land
– The Kent Ridge Common: Rethinking our population ‘problem’
– Growing your tree of prosperity: Some solutions to population growth and foreign workers. [Thanks Wai Chung]
– Military Life: The Tale of the (Local) Talent [Thanks Panzer]
– Petition Online: Employ Singaporeans First! [Thanks Gilbert]
Countdown to Elections
– kay poh chee: Bangla sweepers are now replaced by Singaporeans according to.. [Thank Jon]
– Yawning Bread: Foreign funding a necessary antidote in authoritarian states
– Bernard Aw’s Blog: Election for 8-year-olds
– The Temasek Review: PAP to amend constitution to increase the number of NCMPs in Parliament
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
– Trapper’s Swamp: S&C charges raised, still no transparency
– The Temasek Review: 2 PAP Town Councils raise their S&C charges as PAP ministers look forward to another pay hike
– The Void Deck: Town Councils increases S&CC – Give us some value! [Thanks Pek]
– TOC: Why not apply ‘town council logic’ to worker wages?
GIC, Temasek State Fund Investments
– Readings From A Political Duo-ble: Who is making the investment decisions for Singapore’s GIC and Temasek?
– FT.com: Singapore fund braced for SFr5.5bn UBS loss
– The Temasek Review: PAP Minister: “Not realistic” for GIC to avoid losses
– Singaporean Skeptic: PAP Minister dodges the question by pretending to answer a different question
– The Temasek Review: Prudential – AIA deal: A deal of epic proportions
Healthcare & Healthcare Providers
– Singapore Life and Times: Bumped out
– Sgpolitics.net: Should treatment of chronic and terminal illnesses in Singapore enjoy better subsidies?
– Mathia Lee: Don’t ignore pain, get treated early
– Singapore Alternatives: Sorry no enough Minister Khaw
Twilight in Paradise. To Live and Die in SG
– Singaporean Skeptic: PAP hides the failure of their retirement policies by passing the buck to you.
– Singapore Dino: Al Jazeera holds debate on Singapore’s Casinos
– Global Issues: Singapore: As Casino Opens, Watch for Its Social Impact Begins
– Al Jazeera English: Singapore’s big bet [Times GMT: 12 Mar-0300hrs(+8);
13 Mar-0530,1730; 14 Mar-1130; 15 Mar-1630; 16 Mar-1430; 17 Mar-0830; 18 Mar-0630] [Thanks Gerald]
Lee vs Chee
– Sgpolitics.net: Sgpolitics.net salutes Tak Boleh Tahan protesters
Woman No Enough
– The Kent Ridge Common: A PBM – but human, all too human.
– Mr Wang Says So: The Sorry Story of Jack Neo
– Musings From the Lion City: Singapore’s Tiger Woods
– Sam’s Thoughts: Jack Neo is not Tiger Woods
– Trapper’s Swamp: Who Jack Neo jumps is none of our business [Thanks Terence]
– You just can’t miss it!: Singapore’s Most Popular/Notorious Film Director at the Moment is also My Fellow Church Member
– Singapore Life and Times: Grievous Hurt
– Carpe Diem: Enough with the affairs
Sorry Rony Recants
– Used Brains For Sale: Ending the War
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singaporeans richer than Americans?
– TOC: The language divide
– Sgpolitics.net: Law enforcement nightmare at Geylang
– Rachel Zeng: Singaporean women are useless because they are less ‘obedient’?
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: My thoughts on Singaporean men wanting brides from China & Vietnam
– guanyinmiao’s musings: True Singaporeans Will Always Be There, Everywhere
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: Who were the culprits in the hit and run case?
– SilentAssassin’s Archive: Victims and Menaces
– Wild Shores of Singapore: Sea level rise in Singapore: what effects?
– The Asia File: What Singapore could learn from Rupert Murdoch [Thanks Ben]
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore Press Holdings and Abu Dhabi Media Company
– The Kent Ridge Common: YourSingapore: One of the Worst?
– TOC: Summoning hither the dolphins
– Sam’s Thoughts: Eugene Loh’s obsession with cross-dressing… on television!
– Musings From the Lion City: Obedient Wives
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: Dr Chee Soon Juan: We must believe (Video)
– The Enquirer: Be careful what you wish for [Thanks Seelan]
– Zach’s Thought Blot: How Small Countries Can Take Advantage of Globalisation
– Yu-Kym’s Blog: Singapore government supports animal testing. Do you?
– My Little Corner: LTE? First Resolve the 3G problem
Life, the universe and everything
– Open Contours: At the Ringside of the Global Village
– Moving Higher In Souped-up Heuristically Agon Moment: Singapore 2010 Odyssey
– Otterman speaks: Photos from this morning’s OCBC Cycle Singapore
– Daring Fireball: This Apple-HTC Patent Thing [via Balderdash]
– Barnyard Chorus: International Women’s Day
– Lianain Films: The Maestro’s Daughters
– Hear Ye! Hear Ye!: Poor Jack Neo
– Brad’s Blog: Small Time ‘my paper’ Critic Jill Alphonso Bashes Cameron and Avatar
– TOC: Survey on IT knowledge among Singaporeans
– The Long and Winding Road: A hidden secret that one of the bridges at the mouth of the river once held
– Tantalizine: History of the Shirt
– SGEntrepreneurs: Events For The Week – 6-13 Mar