“There is one C that describes our society so well – that C is COMPETITION.”
“…Singapore’s political system was just one economic crisis away from collapse.”
“…because of its unintellectual and patronising delivery of message, religion, in the hands of the government, becomes either a bogyman to worry over or a spoil child who must be appeased.”
“But how does a fare hike become a fare cut?”
“The Singapore system of education must recapture the meaning of “moulding the future of our nation”.”
“…he is going out on a whim and looking like just another civil servant.”
Tau Hua Boy
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
Countdown to Elections
- TOC: That RP CEC meeting – Ng Teck Siong reveals more
- Seelan Palay’s Blog: Protecting minorities and their rights in Singapore
- The Temasek Review: Reform Party attacked again over its “internal politics” in Straits Times
- The Temasek Review: Five Reasons Why It Is Difficult To Dislodge The PAP From Power (Part 1) [Recommended]
- Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Personal sacrifice by Goh Meng Seng
- The Temasek Review: Five Reasons Why It Is Difficult To Dislodge The PAP From Power (Part 2)
- TOC: NSP’s Goh Meng Seng pledges to sell flat to fund election bid
- Seelan Palay’s Blog: Sham elections and the fear of voting for the opposition
- Sgpolitics.net: SDP to PMO: Leave Bukit Panjang as a single-seat constituency
- Singapore Recalcitrant: The Subtlety of Gutter Politics
- choongyong.com: Vote18 Campaign
- Singapore Alternatives: Politics as Public Service – Just a little Sacrifice
- Suppoert Site for the Unemployed: Temasek Holdings Secret: $8 Billion Incurred In Administrative Cost in Year 2009! [Thanks lim]
- The Temasek Review: Temasek Review to set up Policy Forum to provide alternative vision for Singapore
- On Nation and State: Property market fever: What can we do?
- The Temasek Review: Why Mah Bow Tan’s policy of high HDB flat prices is wrong [Recommended]
- Sgpolitics.net: HDB Caught Red-handed Bending Its Own Rules
- Singapore Aspirations: On housing and wealth creation
- Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Looking deeper into Singapore’s real estate administration
- FOOD fuels me to talk: Nuts to promise affordable homes for all
- Blowin’ in the wind: Old geezers, young hopefuls and dream homes
- Salary.sg: Property Prices Are Too High
ERPains, Trains & Automobiles
- Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: COE and car prices
- Singapore’s Land Transport: New MRT map… updated with Circle Line Phase 2 Opening
- TOC: Transport fares reduction: For better or for worse?
- Blowin’ In The Wind: When is a fare hike a fare cut?
- FOOD fuels me to talk: LTA, gimme seamless travel lah!
- Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Public transport fares
- TOC: 2.5% fare reduction for all – except for when it rises!
- Trapper’s Swamp: Public transport fares vaguely revised
- Musings From the Lion City: The One To Blame
- My Little Corner: Distance Based Fares from 3 Jul 2010
- ST Forum: Bus, train fare system must be fair to all
- Blowin’ In The Wind: The Great Singapore Transport Overhaul
- Tattooed Banker: Public transport
Strangers in a Strange Land
- TOC: Differentiating between PRs and S’poreans? [Recommended]
- Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: The Singaporean-PR gap
- TWC2: A letter to the National Wages Council
- My sketchbook: Welcoming immigrants
- Singapore Recalcitrant: The god has spoken
Charlie Rose with MiniLee
- The Temasek Review: PM Lee: Our (political) system is based on “meritocracy”
- TOC: Tired of the government’s libel suits
- Singapore Recalcitrant: A Plausible Revelation
- Charlie Rose: with Lee Hsien Loong Transcript
- Yawning Bread: Singapore’s political system a one-legged stool [Recommended]
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
- Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Understanding the Singaporean Dream… [Recommended]
- Sgpolitics.net: SDP meets Teo Ho Pin; MP rejects call to stop Sheng Siong
New Real Media
- TOC: Astroturfing – a nuisance, or a brave new world of activism?
- TOC: Have we lost our ability to appreciate?
- funny little world: Who deserves a university education?
- singularity industries: Do We Really Need To Teach Politics?
- Zach’s Thought Blot: A Foolish Fiasco [Recommended]
- deadpris: Reply to Mr Lee Beng Tat (Tard)
- Singapore Life and Times: Do your math
- Yawning Bread: Where religious freedom ends [Recommended]
- groundnotes: Religion in the public sphere
- Chemical Generation Singapore: Intrusion into Common Space, Tolerance and Respect
- Trapper’s Swamp: Don’t legitimise government intervention in religion
- Irreligious: Shifting grounds
Lee vs Chee
- Simply Gab: SDP Acquittal Recinded — the very definition of poor judgment
- Trapper’s Swamp: Ionescu, political scapegoat?
- I’m getting personal: Towards becoming Little China
- TOC: The elephant in the bedroom: Talking about sex
- Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Goldman charged with fraud by SEC
- Because you’ve got eyes on you: Why I don’t read The Tema-suck Review anymore [Thanks logna]
- ambiguity: The Words of Wisdom, Let Them Be.
- Small steps for Social PR: Audi Fashion Show 2010 Open Casting Not So Open To Local Models And Comments
- voix.deviant: dragged by gender role? [Thanks Ian]
- It’s all about Amelioration: Of Policies & Contradictions [Thanks Nabs] [Recommended]
- guanyinmiao’s musings: Reaching Everyone For Active Citizenry @ Home (REACH): The Experience
- Jacob 69er: Singaporeans for Democracy to highlight PAP’s political discrimination to UN Special Rapporteur
- Singapore Donkey: Mah Bow Tan falls into Straits of Johor after mistakenly thinking that Singapore is landlocked
- TOC: Here to provide a listening ear
- My Thoughts: Ezycash – enabling you to pay more than necessary [Thanks Ganga]
- Singapore Peak Oil: Recent Peak Oil Headlines Ignored by Singapore Media
- Singapore Bikers Forum: Facebook comments on Riders [Thanks BT]
- EDMW: (GPGT) Does anyone have a friend like this? Are you proud to be his friends? [Thanks BT]
- Want some tau huay?: Just another civil servant after all.
- Trapper’s Swamp: This is nothing short of shameful
- guanyinmiao’s musings: Increasing Art Appreciation In Singapore
- funny little world: So I have an Engrish name.
Life, the universe and everything
- Small steps for Social PR: Twitter conversations about Eunos bus accident
- Wild Shores of Singapore: More flaring up at Pulau Bukom
- Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Seriously people, Flashmob doesn’t need to be just dancing
- The Long and Winding Road: Saying hello to an old acquaintance
- pinkdot.sg: When one door closes, a closet door opens: A Singaporean mother’s appeal to parents of LGBT sons and daughters [Thanks J]
- Siew Kum Hong: Feeding community cats
- Open Contours: Green Revelation
- Singapore Fountain Pen: Singapore 360 – Day 31: Wave House Sentosa [Thanks Major]
- Small steps for Social PR: Andrew Peters, Singapore’s resident social media marketing guru, moves on to Heaven 2.0
- SGEntrepreneurs: Events For The Week – 17-24 Apr
- Dee Kay Dot As Gee: @HTC having a contest on the 10th anniversary of the iPAQ