“There is one C that describes our society so well – that C is COMPETITION.”
“…Singapore’s political system was just one economic crisis away from collapse.”
“…because of its unintellectual and patronising delivery of message, religion, in the hands of the government, becomes either a bogyman to worry over or a spoil child who must be appeased.”
“But how does a fare hike become a fare cut?”
“The Singapore system of education must recapture the meaning of “moulding the future of our nation”.”
“…he is going out on a whim and looking like just another civil servant.”
Tau Hua Boy
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
Countdown to Elections
– TOC: That RP CEC meeting – Ng Teck Siong reveals more
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: Protecting minorities and their rights in Singapore
– The Temasek Review: Reform Party attacked again over its “internal politics” in Straits Times
– The Temasek Review: Five Reasons Why It Is Difficult To Dislodge The PAP From Power (Part 1) [Recommended]
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Personal sacrifice by Goh Meng Seng
– The Temasek Review: Five Reasons Why It Is Difficult To Dislodge The PAP From Power (Part 2)
– TOC: NSP’s Goh Meng Seng pledges to sell flat to fund election bid
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: Sham elections and the fear of voting for the opposition
– Sgpolitics.net: SDP to PMO: Leave Bukit Panjang as a single-seat constituency
– Singapore Recalcitrant: The Subtlety of Gutter Politics
– choongyong.com: Vote18 Campaign
– Singapore Alternatives: Politics as Public Service – Just a little Sacrifice
– Suppoert Site for the Unemployed: Temasek Holdings Secret: $8 Billion Incurred In Administrative Cost in Year 2009! [Thanks lim]
– The Temasek Review: Temasek Review to set up Policy Forum to provide alternative vision for Singapore
– On Nation and State: Property market fever: What can we do?
– The Temasek Review: Why Mah Bow Tan’s policy of high HDB flat prices is wrong [Recommended]
– Sgpolitics.net: HDB Caught Red-handed Bending Its Own Rules
– Singapore Aspirations: On housing and wealth creation
– Who Moved My Singapore Cheese: Looking deeper into Singapore’s real estate administration
– FOOD fuels me to talk: Nuts to promise affordable homes for all
– Blowin’ in the wind: Old geezers, young hopefuls and dream homes
– Salary.sg: Property Prices Are Too High
ERPains, Trains & Automobiles
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: COE and car prices
– Singapore’s Land Transport: New MRT map… updated with Circle Line Phase 2 Opening
– TOC: Transport fares reduction: For better or for worse?
– Blowin’ In The Wind: When is a fare hike a fare cut?
– FOOD fuels me to talk: LTA, gimme seamless travel lah!
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Public transport fares
– TOC: 2.5% fare reduction for all – except for when it rises!
– Trapper’s Swamp: Public transport fares vaguely revised
– Musings From the Lion City: The One To Blame
– My Little Corner: Distance Based Fares from 3 Jul 2010
– ST Forum: Bus, train fare system must be fair to all
– Blowin’ In The Wind: The Great Singapore Transport Overhaul
– Tattooed Banker: Public transport
Strangers in a Strange Land
– TOC: Differentiating between PRs and S’poreans? [Recommended]
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: The Singaporean-PR gap
– TWC2: A letter to the National Wages Council
– My sketchbook: Welcoming immigrants
– Singapore Recalcitrant: The god has spoken
Charlie Rose with MiniLee
– The Temasek Review: PM Lee: Our (political) system is based on “meritocracy”
– TOC: Tired of the government’s libel suits
– Singapore Recalcitrant: A Plausible Revelation
– Charlie Rose: with Lee Hsien Loong Transcript [tab next to Comment tab]
– Yawning Bread: Singapore’s political system a one-legged stool [Recommended]
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Understanding the Singaporean Dream… [Recommended]
– Sgpolitics.net: SDP meets Teo Ho Pin; MP rejects call to stop Sheng Siong
New Real Media
– TOC: Astroturfing – a nuisance, or a brave new world of activism?
– TOC: Have we lost our ability to appreciate?
– funny little world: Who deserves a university education?
– singularity industries: Do We Really Need To Teach Politics?
– Zach’s Thought Blot: A Foolish Fiasco [Recommended]
– deadpris: Reply to Mr Lee Beng Tat (Tard)
– Singapore Life and Times: Do your math
– Yawning Bread: Where religious freedom ends [Recommended]
– groundnotes: Religion in the public sphere
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Intrusion into Common Space, Tolerance and Respect
– Trapper’s Swamp: Don’t legitimise government intervention in religion
– Irreligious: Shifting grounds
Lee vs Chee
– Simply Gab: SDP Acquittal Recinded — the very definition of poor judgment
– Trapper’s Swamp: Ionescu, political scapegoat?
– I’m getting personal: Towards becoming Little China
– TOC: The elephant in the bedroom: Talking about sex
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Goldman charged with fraud by SEC
– Because you’ve got eyes on you: Why I don’t read The Tema-suck Review anymore [Thanks logna]
– ambiguity: The Words of Wisdom, Let Them Be.
– Small steps for Social PR: Audi Fashion Show 2010 Open Casting Not So Open To Local Models And Comments
– voix.deviant: dragged by gender role? [Thanks Ian]
– It’s all about Amelioration: Of Policies & Contradictions [Thanks Nabs] [Recommended]
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Reaching Everyone For Active Citizenry @ Home (REACH): The Experience
– Jacob 69er: Singaporeans for Democracy to highlight PAP’s political discrimination to UN Special Rapporteur
– Singapore Donkey: Mah Bow Tan falls into Straits of Johor after mistakenly thinking that Singapore is landlocked
– TOC: Here to provide a listening ear
– My Thoughts: Ezycash – enabling you to pay more than necessary [Thanks Ganga]
– Singapore Peak Oil: Recent Peak Oil Headlines Ignored by Singapore Media
– Singapore Bikers Forum: Facebook comments on Riders [Thanks BT]
– EDMW: (GPGT) Does anyone have a friend like this? Are you proud to be his friends? [Thanks BT]
– Want some tau huay?: Just another civil servant after all.
– Trapper’s Swamp: This is nothing short of shameful
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Increasing Art Appreciation In Singapore
– funny little world: So I have an Engrish name.
Life, the universe and everything
– Small steps for Social PR: Twitter conversations about Eunos bus accident
– Wild Shores of Singapore: More flaring up at Pulau Bukom
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Seriously people, Flashmob doesn’t need to be just dancing
– The Long and Winding Road: Saying hello to an old acquaintance
– pinkdot.sg: When one door closes, a closet door opens: A Singaporean mother’s appeal to parents of LGBT sons and daughters [Thanks J]
– Siew Kum Hong: Feeding community cats
– Open Contours: Green Revelation
– Singapore Fountain Pen: Singapore 360 – Day 31: Wave House Sentosa [Thanks Major]
– Small steps for Social PR: Andrew Peters, Singapore’s resident social media marketing guru, moves on to Heaven 2.0
– SGEntrepreneurs: Events For The Week – 17-24 Apr
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: @HTC having a contest on the 10th anniversary of the iPAQ