“..is the government more interested in pummelling the accuser or dealing with the issues raised?”
“..we can subcontract the work , but we cannot subcontract the responsibility”
“..here’s a plea to our would be leaders, ….please lead…please help and facilitate our originality and creativity. Stop going for those low lying fruits. And playing those self gratifying numbers games.”
“My bold forecast is that the swing will be 15%..”
Tan Kin Lian
“Great, just what we need. Another party.”
“This is love, but given its strange alignment with the political ideology and paternalism of an authoritarian state, it is repulsive and evil.”
“..the arguments seem to be falsely revolving around the status of the church as an institution of public character, which seems to imply that what’s wrong for a private sector enterprise may be right for an IPC, and vice versa.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
Countdown to Elections
– Gerald Giam: High-level Ministry departures a sign of impending election?
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Voting swing at next general election
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Town Council Performance….what it actually shows…
– TOC: The TCMR finger-pointing farce [Recommended]
– TOC: Confused by S&CC arrears management score?
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Something’s brewing with PAP’s secret online project [Recommended]
– Gerald Giam: A “learning experience” for weak leaders
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: How to have Level Playing Field for Singapore Oppositions?
– Augustman: Don’t Judge an Estate By Its Report
– Singaporeans for Democracy: SFD to submit report on Singapore’s electoral system to UN
– ambiguity: New Rules SG #1 [Recommended]
– Sgpolitics.net: Straits Times finally admits: New Citizens overwhelmingly support PAP
– TOC: Former RP chairman sets up new political party
– Feed Me To The Fish: Sorry, it’s my bloody fault.
Filial Sons and Daughters of Singapore
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: Filial Piety — Father and Son
– funny little world: Got problem? Make video lah!
– Balderdash: What passes for ‘filial piety’ in Singapore
– Sam’s thoughts: MCYS’ video on Filial Piety: A euphemism for soft authoritarianism and total subordination [Recommended]
– The Temasek Review: Filial Piety- Time for Government to get into the act too
– Furry Brown Dogs: Stereotyping filial piety and failure of MCYS
– Loh and Behold: 不 孝?
– TOC: Filial piety ad – what was not shown
– ST Forum: An unrealistic portrait
The Great Flood of Orchard
– Loh and Behold: Screwed
– Sgpolitics.net: Singapore celebrates International Water Week with a mighty splash!
– My sketchbook: Best person to fix orchard road’s flood
– ST Forum: Were there lapses?
– guanyinmiao’s musings: The Flash Floods: Why Singaporeans Are Angry And Fearful
– TOC: Floods: Monitor or don’t monitor also flood?
– TOC: Paying for monkeys
Fricker and Loyld Do Singapore
– TOC: The Great Singapore Farce – Now Showing
– Singapore Recalcitrant: The Sophistry of Minister K. Shanmugam
– Singapore Dino: Wong Kan Seng has time to discuss Chinese LRT, but not to comment on MRT breach?
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: Public transport security a private matter?
– The Temasek Review: Yaacob Ibrahim and the art of shirking responsibility
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Swiss Vandal : The Sentencing Dilemma…
– funny little world: Let Singapore be the best it can be.
– The Kent Ridge Common: Oliver’s breach — just who is responsible? [Thanks Lester]
– The Mind Game: Alright, who Really is paying for public transport?
– Telegraph: Singapore manhunt launched for Briton suspected of vandalising train
Strangers in a Strange Land
– ambiguity: One Child Too Many
– The Temasek Review: New citizens and PRs make up 20 percent of grassroots leaders
– The Gigamole Diaries: Worker’s safety – are we serious?
– Sex sells, so does Politics: We need a safer way to transport foreign workers? Wait for another 2 years!
– Singapore Notes: Score Update – FT 1, Singaporeans 0
– The Temasek Review: Dr Vivian slammed critics of PAP’s FT sports policy as being “small-minded”
– Singaporean Skeptic: Italian Football Chief Blames Foreign Talents For Euro Woes
– Singapore Dino: Vivian hurls insult after insult at Singaporeans
– Yours Truly Singapore: Critics of foreign talent in sports get red card
– My Sketchbook: Profits over safety- Singapore’s first world mentality
Singapore Human Trafficking Hub
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Too busy hitting back to deal with human trafficking
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: Why is Singapore on US’s Human Trafficking Watch??
– FT Forum: Capture more accurate data with broader criteria
– Free Malaysia Today: Stuff your report, Singapore to US
We are against capital punishment
– Readings From A Political Duo-ble: International law in Yong Vui Kong’s case
– TOC: The irresponsible Straits Times
– IPS News: Hung Up on the Death Penalty [via Jacob 69er]
– Malaysiakini: Death row case: Minister to meet Yong’s lawyer
– TOC: Re-examine judicial & clemency process, M’sian lawyers urge S’pore
Twilight in Paradise
– singapost: Hungry in Choa Chu Kang [Thanks Ravi]
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Evaluating The Finer Aspects Of The Lift Upgrading Programme (LUP)
– TOC: How should I help?
GIC, Temasek State Funds Investments
– flaneurose: “Stuy Town – Who got ‘stuffed'”
– Temasek Hedge: Singaporeans left holding the bill (and vomit bag) after the Stuy Town party
– Singabloodypore: Just How Wealthy is the Singapore Government?
Healthcare & Healthcare Providers
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Khaw Boon Wan and his heart attack..
– ST Forum: Son’s studies hit by teacher shortage at school
– guanyinmiao’s musings: The Singapore Youth Olympic Games (YOG) Engine: Revving Up The Gears?
– funny little world: I am so sick of the Y-effing-O-G.
Little Green Dot
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: *SCAPE balloon release – What kind of message are they sending to our youth? #scapesg
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: *SCAPE’s respond to balloon release #scapesg
– EcoWalktheTalk: Go Green with SMRT: Using Public Transport in Singapore
– Thoughts of a Cynical Investor: High rollers take bus to Sentosa casino?
– Bloomberg: Singapore Gambles Low Crime Rate With $10.2 Billion Casino Push
The Gospel of Harry
– Singapore Notes: The Truth Will Always Be Malleable
– Singapore Recalcitrant: MM Lee Kuan Yew the “Forecaster”
– Daily Mirror: LKY’s prejudice
– Thoughts of a Cynical Investor: Why MM and Sands differ on rampup?
– Sze Zeng: Religious harmony in a given pluralistic society
– The Temasek Review: Religious Harmony – A Case of Freedom of Religion vs Freedom of Speech
– Guardian: Singapore’s fragile harmony threatened
– New Asia Republic: Of YouTube and Salesmen
Kong Hee Doing The Ming Yi
– Sg Truth: Pastor Kong Hee and Wife Live like Hollywood Stars [Thanks cglak]
– Irreligious: Living like Ho
– Flying Low: Plagiarism
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Go West, Hollywood Ho!
– Irreligious: Should religious organisations be tax-exempt?
– Temasek Hedge: NKF + failed S-Chip = City Harvest?
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: I shall now “promote homosexuality”, part 1
– New Asia Republic: A Street Light Problem
– The Temasek Review: NUS Alumni leaked Confidential Personal Data to Standard Chartered Bank
– Yu-Mei Balasingamchow: Regulate, don’t censor leh
– funny little world: “Why not try to see things from a different angle?”
– ST Forum: Noise pollution complaints fall on deaf ears
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Journalists should not retail government disinformation [Thanks aemedia]
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Britain : New Govt = New Thinking on Equality and Debt
– The Gigamole Diaries: The missing genius? Indeed.
– Mathia Lee: Questioning
– The Temasek Review: Who actually benefits from our India and China Trade Agreements? [Recommended]
– TOC: Look who’s bashing Singaporeans
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Inconsiderate behaviour as the Singapore way
– New Asia Republic: Moral hazards of modern banking (part 1 of 2)
– ST Forum: Don’t call it teasing – it’s harassment
– Singapore Notes: The Best Of The Best Gets Better
– The Asia File: More illegal sand exports to Singapore uncovered
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Illiberal pragmatism and reciprocal complicity
Life, the universe and everything
– The Mind Game: Farquhar — True founder of Singapore?
– EcoWalktheTalk: So Just What is Shark Fin Soup? [Thanks Bhavani]
– department of crappy engineering: RoboCup 2010 Singapore
– Balderdash: Pictures – July 2009
– TOC: The life of a patriotic Singaporean
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Stock Market : Putting the Ceridian Index to the test…
– Leona’s Blog: Just be Yourself: UK Business Grad Runs Nasi Lemak Stall at Newton Circus
– The Long and Winding Road: The curved buildings at the end of Collyer Quay and the Straits Steamship Company
– deadpris: We Really Have Power Over Cervical Cancer
– Mr Guay’s teaching blog: The invisible rod
– Wild Shores of Singapore: Mega workshop series for all shore guides (Jul-Aug 10)