“They’re both government projects. Same same, both aver “enthusiasm” from top down. From bottom up, it’s indifference and ennui.”
“..all I can remember is that I have nothing patriotic to remember, no good memories of Singapore that I can treasure, and all I know is that my voice will go unheard.”
“I’m not just talking about freedom with regard to political freedom to vote, to protest, to strike, to demonstrate, or to have a point of view; but also real freedom of the mind and the body. You can think differently, dress differently, live differently. Society is inclusive.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break. Have a good National Day weekend.
2010 National Day
– Abdillah Zamzuri: Singapore’s Social Engineering
– sylvia lim’s blog: Live Our Dreams. Fly Our Flag.
– Under The Willow Tree: [Classic] Dick Lee: “Count on Him Singapore”
– Under The Willow Tree: [Classic] I am a Singaporean, by Dan E [Recommended]
– TOC: What the Maya collapse can tell us about our future
– Under The Willow Tree: National Identity, by Solitaire Joker [Classic]
– Kaffein-nated: (Old Classic) I am a Singaporean, by Dan E
– Under The Willow Tree: Why I Would Like to Leave, by Kitana [Classic] [Recommended]
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Isn’t there a better way to wish residents a Happy National Day?
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: SDP’s National Day Message 2010 – The Young Ones
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Alienation scores gold at Youth Olympic Games
– TOC: YOG – a litany of screw-ups
– i have succumbed to peer pressure: The Youth Olympic Games: Overcompensation for Goal 2010?
– I’m getting personal: Dig Your Own Grave (YOG) and Save
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: No one cares about the Youth Olympic Games except the Government
– Singaporean Skeptic: Who cares about the YOG?
– Food fuels me to talk: YOG doesn’t light my fire
– Sgpolitics.net: The Youth Olympic Games — why the great apathy?
– I’m getting personal: Incompetence with YOG planning
– My Very Own Glob: Is the YOG really a shambles?
– Singapore Dino: ST: Get into the YOG spirit (please?)
– Singapore Notes: Who Says YOG Is Boring?
– under a Pipala Tree: Giving way for 2 weeks – Thoughts about YOG
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: YOG 自导自演 (A Business Jet was chartered for the Flame)
– My Very Own Glob: Support YOG, wear this t-shirt
– the mrbrown show: give way to yog
– vinyarb: YOG Bus vs Ambulance [Thanks Bryan]
Alan Shadrake charged for Jolly Hangman
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Alan Shadrake decides to fight!
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Shadrake’s day in court, part 1
– Loh and Behold: He thinks He’s got Balls
– The Asia File: British author refuses to apologise for Singapore death penalty book
– Civic Advocator: CNA Thread: Alan Shadrake says Singaporeans grovel ‘por lum pa’
– Guardian: Singapore’s reputation on the line as British author fights on [via Jacob 69er]
– Singaporean Skeptic: Singapore’s predictable reaction to Alan Shadrake
– Musings From the Lion City: A Case Of Singapore Not Helping Itself
– Lost in Singapore: What Moral Authority, Wong Kan Seng?
– Singaporean Skeptic: Wong Is Wrong Again.
– BBC: Shadrake case highlights Singapore censorship battle
– Article 14: What did Shadrake really say?
– journalism.sg: The groundbreaking action against ‘Hangman’ author Alan Shadrake
We are against capital punishment
– TOC: There must be room for mercy
– Rachel Zeng: Give Vui Kong a Second Chance
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Wrestling with the Death Penalty
– funny little world: Taking a stand, together.
– Jacob 69er: Gathering at Hong Lim Park to support clemency for death row inmate Yong Vui Kong
– Irreligious: Speaking of hope
– The Temasek Review: Making the case for the Death penalty
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
– Singapore Dino: Lim Swee Say deceived delegates at International Labour Conference
– My sketchbook: Singapore Economy-Feed me more!
– The Star: GDP up, But no cheer heard
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Having Our Activist Government Walk The Economic Talk
– Under The Willow Tree: Darth Zorro Lim Swee Say – Liar Or A Fool?
– TOC: The relentless rising cost of living in Singapore
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Domestic costs drive inflation, not import prices [Recommended]
– Under The Willow Tree: PAP Government Abuses its Monopoly Power to Suck the People Dry
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Over 40 and earning below S$1,000
– VotingRp: Domestic Costs Drive Inflation, Not Imports
ERPains, Trains & Automobiles
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Jurong East MRT reaches tipping point…
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: How do you solve the shortage of overnight parking lot issue?
– Siew Kum Hong: Babies cannot drink on MRT trains?!
– TOC: Jurong East station – an absurd situation
– The Temasek Review: Carpark price increase, short-sighted and inappropiate
– Loh and Behold: The Clowns at HDB & URA
Strangers in a Strange Land
– Fit to Post: Two in three S’poreans concerned over foreigners: survey
– The Grand Moofti Speaks: Singapore’s ‘foreign talent’ debate and the Temasek dilemma
– TOC: Fisherman’s ordeal
– Guardian: Singapore plans for new wave of immigrants to help economy’s growth
– TOC: MOM policy change creating problems for employers
– Musings From the Lion City: National Unity!…right
– How To Work In Singapore Part 1: Pinoy guide on how to work in Singapore.
Twilight in paradise
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Retirement Should Be A Personal – Not Public – Choice
– Loh and Behold: Retire? But How?
– For What It’s Worth: retirement
– Singapore Notes: A Difference Of Opinion
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Housing for PRs – nobody in charge
Countdown to Elections
– Gerald Giam: Voting with your head or heart? You can do both
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: I want to speak up but I do not (dare to) do so…?
– VotongRp: Building a more people-oriented, diverse, participatory and freer Singapore
– The Temasek Review: Why the opposition should stay clear of the anti-death penalty campaign
– My Sketchbook: You know National day is coming
– New Asia Republic: Desmond Lim objects SDA’s merger with the Reform Party
– VotingRp: GDP growth & the living standards of average Singaporean
– Lim Bak Chuan Desmond: Press Release by Desmond Lim Bak Chuan [Facebook]
– Musings From the Lion City: Family Business
The great flood of Singapore
– Singapore Alternatives: Japan proves MM Lee WRONG!
– Sgpolitics.net: The Taming of the Floods
– De Leviathan @ SG: A Tale of Two Cities – Engineering Flood Controls [Thanks Yak]
The Gospel of Harry
– Singapore Notes: More Intellectual Class or Deadwood?
GIC, Temasek State Funds Investments
– Thoughts of a Cynical Investor: Swee Say said that gd Temasek lost billions?
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Bullying Needs A Non-Legislative Solution
– Mindblogging Stuff: How to model Britain after Singapore [Recommended]
– TOC: Self before service
– Singapore Notes: Oh Shut Up Already
– Ian On The Red Dot: A dystopian novel about Singapore
– Thinker, Writer, Magus, Man: Bridging Worlds
– TOC: Arrested and handcuffed for a S$30 offence
– what I don’t see doesn’t exist: Being Singaporean
– ST Forum: Insurance muddle bares ‘highway robbery’
– The Kent Ridge Common: Was NUS student really approached by ISD?
– Loh and Behold: Prevent Further Suicides!
– Balderdash: Why Men should not take pictures of Women in Singapore
– pinkdot.sg: Should there be a Pink Dot 2011?
– Singapore Notes: The Cops Should Be Arrested!
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: Singapore “hates Anwar Ibrahim”, vows to back Najib in Malaysia
– TOC: Singapore mentors Burma in sham elections
– TOC: REACH’s new (media) panel – will it work?
– singularity industries: The Case Of The Local Music Scene Vs. You, The Consumer
Life, the universe and everything
– Moving Higher In Souped-up Heuristically Agon Moment: IndigNation 2010 Opens
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Singapore got talent – 53A
– Empty Vessel: Should your child go for music lessons?
– Otterman speaks: “The Malayan Emergency” on History Channel in August
– Balderdash: Cai Png 101
– Lips Don’t Lie: Slash Concert In Singapore – Fort Canning
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: HTC release HTC Touch2 Non Camera version
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Indians in Singapore