“What exactly are you celebrating?… The day, or the idea behind it?”
“When the meritocrats are all at sea, it may well be the outliers who will save the day.”
“Although Singapore should strive to achieve success at any sporting events such as the YOG, it should not be achieved at the expense of the spirit of Olympics. Winning isn’t everything.”
“The imagination of Singapore as a young country dovetails with the Youth Olympic Games, wanting to find somewhere to begin, grow and evolve into a legitimate event.”
“It is the fact that we are not allowed to talk about it, not allowed to read about it, not allowed to know about it, that is sowing so much doubt, fear and fury in the Singaporean public’s mind.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
2010 National Day
– Ravi Philemon: National Day must remain a day of pride
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: My National Day Message: No Dream too Bold… [Recommended]
– The Rot Within: A Negative Identity
– VotingRP: A National Day Message from the Reform Party
– ambiguity: National Day [Recommended]
– Tribolum.com: E Pluribus Unum
– Scott’s Weblog: How Loyal Are Singaporeans?
– My Very Own Glob: My National Day Parade
– Singapore Kopi Tok: Happy National Day Singapore
– SpotlightOnSingapore: Singapore National Day: fleeing the country
– Sam’s thoughts: Parliament Parody
– Spore Says Political Cartoon: Happy National Day
– My Sketchbook: National day
– The Star: Still a work in progress
– Because you’ve got all eyes on you no matter where you are: My National Day thoughts (or, I love Singapore and hate it too)
– funny little world: Watching the National Day Parade.
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Make it Our Singapore
– The Lycan Times: Singapore Dreaming
– For What It’s Worth: dreams
– The Itch To Write: Love your country, fly the flag!
– Singapore Recalcitrant: The Mind-boggling National Day Award
– Rachel Zeng: 45 years of what?
– Sam’s thoughts: I want a more equal Singapore
– Furry Brown Dog: Happy 45th National Day Singapore
– The Rot Within: Dreams and Spurs
– Singaporean Skeptic: Getting all Nationalistic Today
– Lost in Singapore: The Singapore Gripe?
– The Temasek Review: This National Day is not mine, its the PAP’s.
– Feed Me To The Fish: Yes, Mr Prime Mini$ter
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: Thoughts for National Day 2010
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Happy 45th National Day
– New Asia Republic: Celebration, albeit draggy
– Cooler Insights: Celebrating National Day via Social Technologies
– Singapore Alternatives: NSP National Day Message 2010
– My sketchbook: 5Cs in Singapore
– De Leviathan @ SG: Reflections as we prepare to celebrate 45th National Day [Thanks Yak]
– The Secret Political Blog: I wave my flag in slow motion [Thanks Norvin]
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Do We Really Need The 5Cs To Shape Our “Singapore Dream”?
– Growing your tree of prosperity: National Day Rant : No one is out to ruin your Singaporean Dream, lah !
– De Leviathan @ SG: The Most Ironic Awards – Lee Kuan Yew Water Prize & National Day 2010 (The Distinguished Service Order) [Thanks Yak]
– Vinyarb: No way, He didn’t! Did he?
– The Gigamole Diaries: Did Corrinne May’s “Song for Singapore” do it?
– mrbrown: NDP Slogans You Never Saw
– Sam’s Thoughts: NDP 2010: It’s all about penises, sex, vaginas and more penises
– TOC: NDP reflections [Recommended]
– The Temasek Review: Why Singaporeans should not be proud of the PAP regime for its economic performance
– Singapore Notes: Saving SM Goh
– Balderdash: Jobs, long hours and personal fulfilment
– ST Forum: N-Day Awards. Not a single doc in restructured hospitals recognised
– The Bosonic State: How many people outside Singapore has heard of the Youth Olympic Games?
– Australia.to: SINGAPORE: Youth Games Expose Olympic-sized Cracks
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: YOG 自导自演 – Part 2
– Sam’s thoughts: YOG WTF: Youth Olympic Games – What The Farce [Recommended]
– Uberawesome Dinosaur: Communist Much?
– My Queenstown: Has the Youth Olympic Games 2010 Become a Joke?
– Cooler Insights: Me? A 17 Year Old YOG Cheerleader?
– Under The Willow Tree: Does Singapore YOG Violate ILO Forced Labour Convention?
– Singaporean Skeptic: YOG Support?
We are against capital punishment
– TOC: Malaysian MPs and senators call for Yong to be spared
– Rachel Zeng: Government should be prepared to take Yong’s case to ICJ
– Singapore Donkey: Government: Death penalty prevents 100% from re-offending
– TOC: “I want my son’s name back”
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Doughnut reporting
– funny little world: The Straits Times loses the plot!
– Jacob 69er: Of “PAP wallahs or bootlickers” and “running dogs of the PAP and poor prostitutes”
Countdown to Elections
– TOC: Reform Party responds to Desmond Lim’s statements
– Sgpolitics.net: MM Lee: PAP more likely to get the drainage right (run-up to GE 2006)
– New Asia Republic: Lina Chiam’s first walkabout as SPP’s GE Candidate (8 Aug 2010) [Thanks Donaldson]
– ST Forum: Chiam: Vacating Potong Pasir a personal sacrifice to strengthen opposition
– Singaporean Skeptic: Disagree with Chiam See Tong’s move.
– VotingRp: Q & A With Jeisilan Sivalingam
Singaporeans are fed, up with progress!
– Furry Brown Dog: Putting Singapore’s GDP in perspective [Recommended]
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: At 17.9, don’t we feel rich now?
– Under The Willow Tree: Does PAP Government Work for Singaporeans or Foreigners?
– Singapore Notes: Is It Gonna Rain Or What?
– Musings From the Lion City: Good Numbers But…
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singapore trade still lower than before recession
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Foreigners wager more on Singapore than locals
– TOC: Couple in rental flat faces eviction
– Furry Brown Dog: Housing inflation in Singapore’s CPI
– Yours Truly Singapore: Flat values rise in PM’s ward but…
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Property as a cost of living
– ST Forum: Dating not as effective a carrot as affordable housing
Strangers in a Strange Land
– Under The Willow Tree: Why Do We Care About Mr Ng’s PRC Workers when Our Elderly Struggle to Survive?
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Feeling out of place in your own country….
ERPains, Trains & Automobiles
– Small steps for Social PR: Be warned – Hungry/Thirsty infants not allowed fluids in SMRT trains
– SpotlightOnSingapore: Driving in Singapore: traffic police, act against road bullies
– Under The Willow Tree: SMRT Cares About the YOG, But Not About You
– VotingRp: Reforming National Service
– Singapore Dino: Free museum admission for NSmen: What good is that?
– Molitics: Real Wayang: Propoganda as Reality
Fricker and Loyld Do Singapore
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Fricker the SMRT Train Vandal: Kan vs Kang
– SpotlightOnSingapore: Oliver Fricker, MRT vandal: impact on Singapore security
DBS – Too big to fail failed
– Under The Willow Tree: MAS Capital Charge on DBS a Mere Slap on the Wrist
– Singapore Notes: There’s A Good Story Here Somewhere
Little green dot
– Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Open letter to the 31st NUSSU EXCO (Balloon Release on NUS Rag Day 2010)
– Moving Higher In Souped-up Heuristically Agon Moment: Singapore Green One
GIC, Temasek State Funds Investments
– Furry Brown Dog: GIC essay competition
Twilight in Paradise
– Sgpolitics.net: When Should One Retire?
No amount of engineering can prevent flooding
– ALVINOLOGY: Flood Again? You can always canoe on the Singapore street
The Gospel of Harry
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Tom Plate’s Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew
Kong Hee Doing The Ming Yi
– Irreligious: Placing URA’s guidelines in context
– Irreligious: Muslims face backlash in America
– journalism.sg: Freedom of online speech is threatened by intolerant populism
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Nuns have been known to go wild
– New Asia Republic: HIV/AIDS and Travel Restrictions
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: The meritocratic route to oblivion [Recommended]
– TOC: Censorship is not just about the arts
– New Asia Repulbic: Letter to the Editor
– ST Forum: Prosecute human traffickers and protect scam victims
– ST Forum: Targeting Fliers – Don’t hit livelihoods
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Rascals Prize comes around again
– Sam’s thoughts: Burning of “hell” money can be better governed
– Toadjuice… off the blender…: It’s a parking space, stoopeed, not a parking lot!
– Seelan Palay’s Blog: I will start my 1st prison term on Aug 11
– Balderdash: Malaysia/Singapore as Immigrant Societies
– guanyinmiao’s musings: School-Based Community Service In Singapore (A Review)
– Sam’s Thoughts: Shoving heterosexuality and homosexuality into our faces
– Carpe Diem: Malaysia going Nuclear
– The Asia File: Rwanda: the Singapore of Africa? [Thanks Ben]
Life, the universe and everything
– Sam’s thoughts: Dear Singtel Mio TV, you suck
– Small steps for Social PR: Fandi Ahmad’s goal against Inter Milan, 1983
– ALVINOLOGY: GV Yishun Renovation Party featuring Phua Chu Kang The Movie
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Singlish and English in Singapore
– The Temasek Review: Global economies heading for turbulence, are we edging closer to trouble heading forward?
– Balderdash: NSFW Chart
– 24moimoimoi Youtube: The Body Shop Singapore Launches “Stop Sex Trafficking of Children and Young People” Petition [via Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker]