“..a more aptly description would be that we were bred to not bother.”
“Is this what we have become? Ruthlessly efficient yet heartless automatons?”
“The government may see it as “Singaporeans want more and more”, but I see it as “Singaporeans deserve better”.”
“Henceforth all metaphors – as a matter of fact, all words with double, triple, quadruple, etc meanings – are disallowed and barred.”
This week’s roundup and recommended reads after the break.
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: Team S’pore’s results at the YOG on the fifth day (Thursday), sixth day (Friday), seventh day (Saturday).
– The Temple Of Thoughts 3: The Singapore Attitude: YOG Edition
– The boy who knew too much: Singapore’s YOG and the international media.
– TOC: Align success factors with true spirit of YOG
– The Temasek Review: Drinking mineral water at YOG is “a conflict of interest” to Coca Cola
– TOC: Click Five concert – who is telling the truth?
– The Temasek Review: YOG concert by Vox at Marina promontory played to empty seats yesterday
– Play The Game: Athletes risk fines for early return from YOG
– Bleacher Report: Does the United States Really Care About the Youth Olympic Games?
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: Team Singapore’s results on the eighth day of YOG competition (Sunday)
– New Asia Republic: Raison d’être pour les YOG
– Loh and Behold: MOE Lacks Common Sense
– The Temasek Reivew: Singapore schools forced to pay for YOG tickets
– TOC: They represent us but they know nothing about us
– Chemical Generation Singapore: Not Cubs but Lions
– The Star: Lion City banking on imports to poach for glory
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: How Team Singapore fared on the ninth day of YOG competition (Monday)
– Open Contours: Y is for Youth
– The Temasek Review: Official complaint to SYOGOC on poor choice of commentators for the gymnastics event
– Sam’s thoughts: Police arrests Singaporean netizen over YOG remarks: Time for chilling effect to take its course
– Sex sells, so does Politics: Is Singapore handcuffing down the path of Communism?
– The Singapore Sports Fan Says: Team Singapore’s results on the 10th day (Tuesday), 11th day (Wednesday)
– Singapore Recalcitrant: Is the MCYS Minister showing his fangs?
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Language scuffles
– Loh and Behold: Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Metaphors Banned! [Recommended]
– The Asia File: You say tomato, I say incitement to violence
– The Temasek Review: Arrest of YOG critic to squash online criticisms of YOG backfired miserably
– TOC: Inciting violence? Judge for yourself
– Loyalty is Orange: YOU ARE ALL PENDEJOS By Decapitation
– Singapore Social and Political Thoughts: YOG Hang Overs
– Ravi Philemon: I support YOG
– the mrbrown show: upsize the youth olympics
– Journalism, Journalists and the World: No Surprise: Singapore arrests blogger who posted anti-government notes on Facebook
We are against capital punishment
– Article 14: Clemency and the Constitution [Recommended]
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Sleeping with strangers, part 1
– Give Life A 2nd Chance: 96,622 Person Plead for Vui Kong , To Hand In the Petition to Singapore Istana on 24 August 2010
– Petition Online: Give Yong Vui Kong a Second Chance to Help Singapore’s Anti-Drug Trafficking Policy
– TOC: President urged to convene Constitutional Court
– Lianain Films: 100,000 Rays Of Hope
– FMT: Singapore tightens one more screw
– TOC: Breaking News: Vui Kong’s family pleads at Istana (Full report)
– funny little world: Until the very last second.
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: Sleeping with strangers, part 2
– Jacob 69er: We’re putting the entire (Singapore) judiciary on trial
– The Jakarta Post: Minister told to save those in Malaysia death row
– TOC: Vui Kong given extension to file clemency, Shadrake’s trial postponed
– Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Death Penalty : Why we need to rethink….
– Lianain Films: A Family’s Plea
– Icarus Flew Too High: A Note About a Boy
– FIDH: FIDH calls for presidential pardon for Yong Vui Kong, sentenced to death by hanging
– Singaporeans for Democracy: Independent Clemency Board for Death Penalty Petitions
– Unbranded Bread n Butter: Buat Bodoh, Truly (Southeast) Asia Style [Thanks NJ]
– Guardian: Death penalty: judicial killing in the free world [Thanks Cheong]
– GOOD Blog: Is Switzerland Sliding Backwards on Capital Punishment? [Thanks Cheong]
Distance-based fare hike
– Blowin’ In The Wind: See what’s wrong with fare calculator
– Singapore Notes: Feel Like Taken For A Ride?
– Tan Kin Lian’s Blog: Distance based fare – an example
– guanyinmiao’s musings: In A Fix Over Public Transport Fares
– Singapore Notes: Lesson From A Commuter
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Less satisfaction for Singapore students and commuters
Strangers in a Strange Land
– Singaporean Skeptic: Journalists do not know maths.
– The Sun Shines on Singapore: Island Flooded with Potential Immigrants
– Yours Truly Singapore: Singapore most desired by migrants: Gallup poll
– ST Forum: Protect, don’t punish, them
– The Temasek Review: It is time for Singaporeans to take back our country
– The Temasek Review: Why are Singaporeans continually rebuffed from jobs in favour of foreigners?
Countdown to Elections
– Growing your tree of prosperity: Fairness is what we strive for. But equality may turn out to be a really bad idea.
– I’m getting personal: The PM we never had
– On Nation and State: Reducing barriers to citizen participation
– Just my Observation: Partisan politics reeks of prejudice (GRC PM Gillard et. al.)
– I’m getting personal: SDP calling netizens: Help us win Bukit Panjang
– Sgpolitics.net: This is why the Democrats advocate retrenchment benefits
– Blowin’ In The Wind: The GRCs of Singapore
– Sam’s thoughts: Sexuality Education AGAIN: Same old story
– Foxy Thoughts: Why Liberal Arts.
– ST Forum: Why it is crucial to opt in
– Sam’s thoughts: Instil confidence
– guanyinmiao’s musings: The Sex Education Silence: What Is With The Fears?
– Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker: If this is a perfect world…
– Yawning Bread on WordPress: St Patrick’s patch 1: How to use a condom
– Sam’s thoughts: Abstinence: We need a condom for religion [Recommended]
– My sketchbook: Sex education policy in Singapore
– THIS HEADLINE HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR OWN GOOD –
– New Asia Republic: Time to review censorship process
Ministars Get Rich or Die Tryin
– The Temasek Review: Let’s forget elections, just employ ministers
– De Leviathan@ SG: The Property Bubble & Investment Trap Part II
– De Leviathan @ SG: The Property Bubble & Investment Trap Part III – Certainty of Employment ?
Twilight in Paradise
– Singapore Notes: No Golden Years For The Elderly [Recommended]
Sporeans a dying breed
– Nomadism: A tongue in cheek video response to Sg govt “Pro Marriage” Campaign
Brad Lau – The search for a free lunch
– ladyirenchef: The Truth
– FTP: S’poreans outraged over ‘free meal’ blogger
– HungryEpicurean: Open Letter to a Certain Food Blogger
– Mel C: Does “Bad Publicity or Good Publicity is still Publicity” applies for LadyIronChef?
– My Food Sirens II: STOP asking for free food!
– ED Unloaded: Food Blogger Demands Free Meal!
– Anonymous X: Why the condemned ladyironchef blog is suspended (4 top speculations)
– MSG: Food blogging: A cardinal sin
– Tristan Navera: Food blogger crossed the line in demanding free food
– deadpris: Truth About Bloggers & Freebies
– ALVINOLOGY: Ladyironchef (Brad Lau) vs Private Affairs
– The Lycan Times: Bloggers, Blogging and Integrity
2010 National Day
– SINdie: What do you see…… What DO YOU SEE?
– SpotlightOnSingapore: National Day Rally: PM should address the issue of building a democratic society
– Senang Diri: National Service: View from a foreign mum
Kong Hee Doing The Ming Yi
– Unbranded Bread n Butter: SUN HO: Haiti’s First Lady?
– Blowin’ In The Wind: Poly, not uni, grads least likely to be jobless
– guanyinmiao’s musings: Are Singaporeans Doing Enough To Give And Volunteer?
– ST Forum: Cyclists deserve the same rights, courtesy as others
– ST Forum: Do more to make a difference in mental health awareness
– ST Forum: Refreshing feedback
– ST Forum: Fliers have their uses
– The Asia File: Trouble down on the (Singapore) farm
– Singaporean Skeptic: Sex Trade in Singapore
– Che Det: Is Meritocracy Racist?
– Singapore Notes: Of Mouse And Men
Life, the universe and everything
– ALVINOLOGY: Wood Xuan (Jeanette Aw) Funny Video Series
– Today’s Mostly Cloudy: The Old Tanjong Pagar Train Station
– flaneurose: The Pose Method
– No buns no life: The 5 Parodies & Spoofs of INCEPTION Movie that’s TOTALLY Worth your TIME!
– Temasek Hedge: Profitable Plots MD says (via Skype) CAD raid a result of scammed Singaporean investors’ stupidity
– ALTSEAN-Burma: ASEAN/Regional Countries Urged To Support A UN Commission Of Inquiry
– Otterman speaks: Eco Music Challenge 2010
– Singapore Heritage Society: The Fajar Generation: A Forum on Reading Singapore History [Thanks Kah Seng]
– Substation Facebook: The Substation Open Call 2010 presents Debbie Ding [Thanks Noor Effendy]