What’s in a name?
15 Feb 2017 was the 75th anniversary of the fall of Singapore. Aside from the revisiting of that horrific time in history, there was much debate over the naming of Synonan Gallery: War and Its Legacies.
On another note, the name of an energy drink (“Pussy”) also raised some eyebrows and drew some complaints, resulting in a review by the Advertising Standard Authority of Singapore (ASAS). ASAS concluded that “the advertisement has breached the “Decency” guideline in the Singapore Code of Advertising Practice.”
A group of people are going further back in history, hoping to bring back the traditional clothing of the Han Chinese (from whom most Singaporean Chinese are descended) – the Hanfu.
ICYMI – Prominent Human Rights lawyer M Ravi is lending his voice to animal rights on 5th March – Sentient Beings? Time to Give a Voice to Animals in Court”
Revisiting our history
Singapore’s first TV station
The Hanfu Revival
– Through the Lens: Dress of the Dynasties
The Japanese Occupation
– MothershipSG: 4 intriguing stories of how 4 of S’pore’s founding fathers survive the Japanese Occupation
– Yahoo News Singapore: Working on Death Railway was ‘horrific’: Australian World War II POWs
In a name – Synonan Gallery: War and Its Legacies
– The Dead Cockroach: Syonan Gallery: War and its legacies
– Bumble Bee Mum: Syonan Gallery – So what’s inside?
– The Online Citizen: Syonan – The Museum of Betrayal
– Yahoo News Singapore: Yaacob: ‘Syonan Gallery’ isn’t named to endorse the Japanese Occupation
Meet The Parents
– #asinglelove: stand up for single parents
It’s the economy, stupid!
– Yahoo News Singapore: Most Singaporeans want Budget 2017 to focus on economy: Survey
This week, some tips and reminders on cyber security. Constant vigilance! And other things.
– e27: 6 ways to ensure the Force is strong with your passwords
– the next web: This creepy Facebook tool is revealing a LOT about you [updated]
– Vulcan Post: Huawei Gears Up To Conquer The Global Smartphone Market, And Singapore Will Be A Key Battlefield
– Marketing Interactive: ASAS calls out Pussy energy drink advertiser for advertising code breach
Singapore Food Paradise
Browse through our dailies to read what Singaporean bloggers are saying.